Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info about SI testing(bridgman/tstellar/agd5f/marek/anyone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about SI testing(bridgman/tstellar/agd5f/marek/anyone)

well as my way of showing my love for AMD open source movement im replacing my ageing 4850x2 with an AMD Radeon 7850 from sapphire (coming next week) but i wanna avoid the FGLRX pest as much as possible, so maybe someone can enlight me here in how to test the new radeonsi code.

i know already there is no DDX per se (nice) so i was wondering if using the xorg tracker is doable now? or i should maybe use xwayland?

i ask since with my 7750 comes an Bulldozer 6200 CPU(i know is slower than ivy but is a cheap way to play with AVX/FMA/XOR/AES-NI/etc) and im planning of do a make world in my gentoo using gcc 4.7 which will effectively kill FGLRX from install, so even if is a bit unstable i greatly prefer using radeonsi if possible

thx in advance

AFAIK the the SI driver isn't yet ready, at all. Something might get rendered, but I doubt it'll be useful. In April they gotbasic demos running , and seeing that EXA will be over Gallium, GL is very tightly related to everything else in this case. About two weeks ago I played with the Xorg state tracker, with encouraging yet mixed results.

For SI cards I recommend keeping fglrx around. On gentoo you can have mutliple drivers installed, only one eselect away

However, if you really want to test the radeonSI code, I suggest you use a git kernel (or better : a git drm stack), enable the x11 overlay and use mesa-9999 (enabling the X state tracker). Correct setting of use flags/video_card variable at your discretion...

Serafean

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      AFAIK the the SI driver isn't yet ready, at all. Something might get rendered, but I doubt it'll be useful. In April they gotbasic demos running , and seeing that EXA will be over Gallium, GL is very tightly related to everything else in this case. About two weeks ago I played with the Xorg state tracker, with encouraging yet mixed results.

For SI cards I recommend keeping fglrx around. On gentoo you can have mutliple drivers installed, only one eselect away

However, if you really want to test the radeonSI code, I suggest you use a git kernel (or better : a git drm stack), enable the x11 overlay and use mesa-9999 (enabling the X state tracker). Correct setting of use flags/video_card variable at your discretion...

Serafean
      yeap im running already

* kernel 3.4 (waiting for 3.5 rc1)
      * drm/mesa git daily
      * xorg latest(fglrx killer)
      * wayland/weston daily git

the problem is i am assuming that if the latest xorg/kernel 3.4 combo don't kill fglrx my make world with custom flags will

Comment

Right now running latest xorg might be quit tricky I suppose, although in all honesty, I don't think you need latest Xorg, since acceleration is supposed to be using gallium anyway. Try running the latest stable xorg, this way you maintain compatibility with fglrx, keeping an older kernel (fglrx-compat) ready to boot is a no-brainer.

I have never had an issue with binary blobs and use flags, the only problem you'll be facing IMO is software versions.

Anyway, once you get something, report back! I'm anxious to hear how it all works

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Right now running latest xorg might be quit tricky I suppose, although in all honesty, I don't think you need latest Xorg, since acceleration is supposed to be using gallium anyway. Try running the latest stable xorg, this way you maintain compatibility with fglrx, keeping an older kernel (fglrx-compat) ready to boot is a no-brainer.

I have never had an issue with binary blobs and use flags, the only problem you'll be facing IMO is software versions.

Anyway, once you get something, report back! I'm anxious to hear how it all works
          my hardware is here in 1 or 2 week more so for now ill backport my xorg and get a 3.2-preempt kernel ready just in case i have to go back to fglrx

Comment

If you want X, the easiest way right now is to use xf86-video-modesetting. That will give you modesetting only (no accel), but for most basic desktop work it performs pretty well.

Comment

Working...
            X