Intel Ivy Bridge: Unity/Compiz Continues To Impair The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Ivy Bridge: Unity/Compiz Continues To Impair The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Intel Ivy Bridge: Unity/Compiz Continues To Impair The Linux Desktop

As the latest Intel Ivy Bridge Linux graphics benchmarks to publish, here is a comparison of some of the different desktop environment options of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS when using the Intel Linux graphics driver on the Core i7 3770K with its HD 4000 graphics. The desktop environments being compared include Unity, Unity 2D, KDE, and Xfce. The default Ubuntu Unity desktop with Compiz continues to have problems for the open-source friendly company's drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

/save link for future reference.

... Of-course, the lousy performance exhibit by Unity, will not prevent it from being used in the next Linux vs. *BSD / Windows / OSX.
    I can only wonder why... *, **

- Gilboa
    * And no, being number #1 in Google trends is enough to make Ubuntu the de-facto Linux standard.
    ** ... Cause Google trends is just as reliable / unreliable as Distrowatch (that lists Ubuntu as #2)
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
      Compiz has turned out to be a shivery wreck that is unlikely to see dramatic improvements in the near future.
      Wrong. They found a major 3D performance regression within Unity affecting most applications/games. The first fix will be in "unity 5.12-0ubuntu1.1", currently in precise-proposed, but there are some more changes needed for the full fix.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/987304 & https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1005074

Comment

Title

I wonder why the article is titled "Intel Ivy Bridge: ...." whereas it doesn't have to do anything with Ivy Bridge at all.

Comment

I know it isn't finalized yet, but could we see these benchmarks run against the Pantheon Desktop Environment from Elementary OS Luna? A little Googling reveals which PPAs contain it, or you could install a daily build of Luna.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            I wonder why the article is titled "Intel Ivy Bridge: ...." whereas it doesn't have to do anything with Ivy Bridge at all.
            The entire thing is about these benchmarks which are running on an Ivy Bridge CPU and graphics.

Comment

Loosing credibility are we here?

This article seemed intent on promoting KDE even though by my eyes XCFE has done a far better job than KDE overall. So has Phoronix fallen off the unbiased wagon to take a ride on the KDE buggy?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                This article seemed intent on promoting KDE even though by my eyes XCFE has done a far better job than KDE overall. So has Phoronix fallen off the unbiased wagon to take a ride on the KDE buggy?
                1. It's "losing" and not "loosing"
                2. WTF?

Please cite an example of what you're talking about, because I read the article again and didn't see anything like KDE promotion. Here are the mentions of xfce/KDE:

The desktops leading to the fastest results were KDE with suspended effects and then Xfce 4.8 with its default window manager.... Xfce and KDE (with suspended effects) were 21% faster than Unity 5.10..... Xfce continued to run in line with the suspended KDE effects position.

Comment

Wasn't there another benchmark article that basically showed Ubuntu and Windows at comparable performance on the nvidia driver?

Yet the conclusion of the article is that compiz is a turd.

Comment

Running only 120 instead of 140 fps in ioquake3 games is an "impairment to the linux desktop"?? *facepalm*

This article sounds more like Michael had a bavaria-related impairment going on...

Comment

Working...
                    X