Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 6.0 Is On Approach With New Features

Phoronix: NetBSD 6.0 Is On Approach With New Features

After going into beta in March, the second and final beta release of NetBSD 6.0 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its cool that they make NetBSD and that there are many operating systems with several distributions, spins and flavors.
    That we have diversity in systems.

But I use Linux on my desktop, and on my phone through Android.
    I don't have any server or other device, but if I did it would probably run Linux, not NetBSD.

Does NetBSD benefit me?
    Do NetBSD do work that gets ported/merged/pushed to GNU/Linux?

Should I care about NetBSD and this new 6.0 release?
    If so, why?

Comment

Nope!

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Its cool that they make NetBSD and that there are many operating systems with several distributions, spins and flavors.
      That we have diversity in systems.

But I use Linux on my desktop, and on my phone through Android.
      I don't have any server or other device, but if I did it would probably run Linux, not NetBSD.

Does NetBSD benefit me?
      Do NetBSD do work that gets ported/merged/pushed to GNU/Linux?

Should I care about NetBSD and this new 6.0 release?
      If so, why?
      No, we should concentrate all available forces (which are scarce anyway) behind the Linux kernel (without GNU).
      Else we'll lose...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        No, we should concentrate all available forces (which are scarce anyway) behind the Linux kernel (without GNU).
        Else we'll lose...
        I've heard that you shouldn't put all your eggs in the same basket.

I like that there are more than one free open source software operating system.
        If GNOME goes bad, I can goto KDE, if Linux goes bad I can goto BSD, etc.

Comment

NetBSD is fantastic for servers, as it provides extremely stable, portable code to run on whatever hardware you have.

NetBSD focuses on simplicity, portability, and quality of code, something I think isn't appreciated enough. It isn't the best for desktop use at present because it lacks good graphics drivers, but is great for any kind of server or embedded system. Because of its high-quality, portable code, it's an extremely popular base for embedded systems, such as NAS systems and the like (a lot of embedded Apple products such as Time Capsules use NetBSD). It has also been used as a smartphone OS and by NASA for experimental systems for spacecraft.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
            NetBSD is fantastic for servers, as it provides extremely stable, portable code to run on whatever hardware you have.

NetBSD focuses on simplicity, portability, and quality of code, something I think isn't appreciated enough. It isn't the best for desktop use at present because it lacks good graphics drivers, but is great for any kind of server or embedded system. Because of its high-quality, portable code, it's an extremely popular base for embedded systems, such as NAS systems and the like (a lot of embedded Apple products such as Time Capsules use NetBSD). It has also been used as a smartphone OS and by NASA for experimental systems for spacecraft.
            So, the same what Linux offers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I've heard that you shouldn't put all your eggs in the same basket.

I like that there are more than one free open source software operating system.
              If GNOME goes bad, I can goto KDE, if Linux goes bad I can goto BSD, etc.
              It's better to focus on single thing and put all the efforts into it. When it goes bad just fork it.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                So, the same what Linux offers.
                Exactly my thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  It's better to focus on single thing and put all the efforts into it. When it goes bad just fork it.
                  Then things just evolve in one direction.
                  In nature things mutate and evolve in different directions.

Comment

Linux doesn't really focus on anything, and that's one of its problems. It wants to work well on servers, desktop systems and embedded systems alike, with the very same codebase.

Comment

Working...
                    X