Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xenonauts: another kickstarter project that (hopefully) would have native linux port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenonauts: another kickstarter project that (hopefully) would have native linux port

The link above it pretty much all the story. Despite "porting the game to mac/linux" was the last one on the backers wishes poll (hey, could we - *nix users - be more active on this, really?!) game developer write that they're going to proceed with porting in case an unknown "porter" they're in contact with would be able to do the job within available fundings. Looking at the poll results one could find that most users either rated mac/linux port to be extremely important or not important at all. Not surprisingly, indeed.

So, Michael, don't you think it's work writing a small news article on this game at Phoronix main page? And, BTW, don't you know who is that mysterious porter game developer are referring to? Maybe, "icculus"?

The Mac / Linux ports also suffered badly. They received a lot of votes for being extremely important and a lot of votes for being very unimportant, but not a great deal in-between. This is not entirely surprising – you either use Linux / a Mac, or you don’t.

Nevertheless, the level of interest suggests it would be worth porting it anyway. If the porter we are talking to is able to deliver the ports for the price we’ve just agreed, it should be worthwhile from our point of view.

These two items have therefore been taken out of the stretch goals.
    It appears that there will be a Linux version. I suppose if the developer they have porting the games doesn't work out it could fall through. Even then, they may find someone else to do it in that case.

Comment

Looks like they are having some progress with linux/mac porting, at least here is a new post with an invitation to participate in a quick survey for Mac and Linux users:

Nothing really serious in surveys - they're interested in package format people want the game to be available in (RPM, deb, name one yourself) and what Mac OS X version should be supported. Still, IMO there's a bit point in participating in this surveys as it would be another indirect measure on the amount of people interested in game port.

Comment

No, it will not be a native port. This is confirmed in their FAQ; it will be wine-wrapped only.

Comment

Already discussed here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...arter-projects

Comment

Sorry; should this thread be closed, then?

Comment

No, I just let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggers View Post
                No, it will not be a native port. This is confirmed in their FAQ; it will be wine-wrapped only.
                Bad luck but it's still better than nothing - it is always good to have an app that is rated "Platinum" out of the box under Wine. Having the "native" port been done using winelib is almost 100% warranty that it would run flawless under wine.

Comment

Certainly; and that is why I haven't pulled my pledge (nor lowered it). But I can't say I'm happy.

With their engine sources closed (Playground 5.0 SDK), how can they really guarantee platinum wine support? What if a DLL uses a call that they cannot change? The only recourse is to then implement the needed functionality in Wine... so they'd have to actually contract a Wine developer, which helps the community by enriching Wine, but is also less wonderful than native, for certain.

Comment

Working...
                  X