Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long has Steam been reporting Wine versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long has Steam been reporting Wine versions?

Now that it is pretty much confirmed that Valve is working on Steam on Linux, this is probably not much of a surprise. However I just noticed that Steam is in fact sending the right Wine version back to Valve:

Code:
    Operating System Version:
        Windows XP (32 bit)
        Wine version: wine-1.5.4
        NTFS:  Supported
        Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0
    The hardware survey just came up in my Steam client and that was part of it. I'm sure they've been doing this for awhile, but this is the first time I've seen it in the hardware summary before clicking "OK". How long has this been happening?

First time I notice this eleven months ago.

Comment

So can Valve actually tell how many users are using Steam through Wine? I assume that even if they can, they won't be telling anyone but interested companies anytime soon, will they?

Comment

AFAIK every WINE installation have "Wine Gecko" in installed application list, so we can check "installed application" statistics in Steam:
        http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey - but there is no "Wine Gecko" in statistics, so number of WINE installations is less than 0.69% (many people probably preferred dual-boot instead of WINE).

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Even though they are getting the data, it's not readily available in the public stats (or perhaps it is, but it's not easily identifiable).

Comment

Did anybody else notice that they report Steam in their list of installed apps and services? Who would have thought that 100% of all Steam users have Steam installed

BTW, it's nice to see that at least among Steam users more people have GIMP than Photoshop (which is ominously missing from the list).

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              AFAIK every WINE installation have "Wine Gecko" in installed application list, so we can check "installed application" statistics in Steam:
              http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey - but there is no "Wine Gecko" in statistics, so number of WINE installations is less than 0.69% (many people probably preferred dual-boot instead of WINE).
              My Wine installs certainly don't. It's an optional component.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                Excuse my ignorance, but first you say that we can find WINE installations via WINE Gecko but then say that WINE Gecko isn't in the list but still come up with a result? How?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  My Wine installs certainly don't. It's an optional component.
                  I see, so then it's default only for Ubuntu builds.
                  Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                  but still come up with a result? How?
                  No. I mean if there is more "WINE Gecko" installations than 0.69%, then we able to see WINE Gecko in the list. But if we doesn't see WINE Gecko in the list, then there is less than 0.69% installations.

Comment

About the list of installed applications:
                    We are continuing to refine this data to provide the most relevant list of installed applications. New items will be added as they are identified.
                    So it is incomplete.

Comment

Working...
                    X