Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D programming example

Hi,
    I've been seeing a lot of posts on the web about Gallium3D, but I'm not really sure how it is working (especially Direct3D part). The only thing I understand is that if I run a Direct3D game through Wine I can get native rendering if I got supporting graphic card drivers on Linux.

What I'd like to know is how to write a simple Direct3D program in C on Linux that will use Gallium3D. I tried to google it, but found nothing.

Thank you

You want to search for info on the Direct3D State Tracker, eg :

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gallium3D provides a "hardware layer" (standard interface for HW drivers) which supports a number of different state trackers, each implementing one or more higher level APIs. The most commonly used state tracker is for OpenGL, but there are others as well.

Wine normally operates by translating Direct3D calls into OpenGL calls then calling the OpenGL driver (which may in turn use Gallium3D as a hardware layer), but in principle Wine could include the Direct3D state tracker and pass the Direct3D calls to it instead. Not sure of the status of that - you may still have to build the Direct3D state tracker yourself from source (see source link in article above).

For programming examples I guess the best place to start would be the test programs in the state tracker tree :

Test signature

Comment

Thank you very much.

Simple answer and very helpful

Comment

Working...
      X