Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: A Good Year For Open-Source AMD?

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    I will remind here that AMD never ever promised that will write the open-source driver by itself.
    I never said that. I replied to a statement made from one of the developers of the radeon drivers. The reply would be the same if it were not one of the developers paid by AMD.
    Its cards are meant to be used with Catalyst to fully use them.
    Again, I don't talk about feature completeness, I talk about a very basic function for a mobile device, that is not working as intended which makes the driver useless to me. By the way, Catalyst will drop support for that GPU soon, AFAIK.
    If catalyst doesn't work feel free to holler at them or buy an nvidia.
    I already complained about the inability of the Catalyst developers to implement a simple patch into the installer to make Catalyst work on kernels >3.2.8 on 32 bit systems in a different thread, so no need for that here.

I knew that there were major issues with ATI/AMD drivers some years ago, but from what I experienced and have read in forums the driver quality seemed to be much better in the near past. Now I begin really to regret that I a) recently have replaced my outdated Nvidia with an AMD card and b) that I recommended to buy AMD to other Linux users.
    For me and my machines it seems that the drivers (both radeon and Catalyst) are down a step (or two) in comparison to Intel and Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    I have tried it with the both profiles, but that doesn't help a single bit, the machine still is hot and power-consumption is far to high for mobile use. I wouldn't care, since it works fine with Catalyst, but AFAIK the support from Catalyst for this card will be dropped in the near future, basically rendering this (2 1/2 years old) machine useless.
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right. There should be significant differences between profiles.

There are some systems where the vendors only added a single power setting in the VBIOS (which means more complex code is needed in the kernel driver) but I didn't think we had those with HD3200. Might ask you to file a bugzilla ticket with a VBIOS dump, will see what agd5f suggests.

Power management doesn't seem to be one of those areas that community developers work in for fun (as libv pointed out recently) so we might have to go back and give that code another kick.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    But nagging about open-souce support is useless.
    No. Being whiny, clueless. anonymous id-gits with a hugely over-inflated and entirely undeserved sense of entitlement complaining bitterly about things they don't understand is useless.

What makes some "persons" worse then useless is when they going around berating, hounding and generally trying to browbeat people that actually have some purpose in life, the ability to contribute something of value, and have some substance as a human being just because the aforementioned 'persons' don't immediately get everything they want for doing absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Might ask you to file a bugzilla ticket with a VBIOS dump, will see what agd5f suggests.
    OK, will do that as soon as I find out how to make a VBIOS dump.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
    @bridgman

What happened in MUX A+A PowerExpress support beyond Linux Catalyst 11.8?

Is there any chance that that PowerExpress support once again become functional soon?

I have a laptop where sits unused one HD5650 video card, and I am therefore obliged to use the on-board HD4200. Not really funny because that HD5650 wasn't gratis...
    My understanding was that it worked OK with one or two specific systems and failed badly on the rest, but that's just third-hand information. What I'm told is that the implementation details of the mux'ed PX systems varied pretty widely from one vendor to the nextso our PX specs included a requirement for a BIOS switch between integrated / discrete / auto if the vendor wanted to support anything other than Win7. Problem is that the BIOS switch didn't get implemented anywhere near as widely as we hoped. I assume your system doesn't have such an option ?

My impression was that the open source drivers had a workable solution for muxed systems and it was really muxless where there was no immediate solution so Catalyst had to implement something -- have you tried the open source drivers on your system ?

Note that my knowledge of Catalyst has been dropping rapidly over the last year, so I don't really have any particularly good answers. It might not hurt to give the bugzilla ticket another polite kick and ask for a workaround at minimum:

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=276

Some OEMs have issued BIOS updates which add the BIOS switch function so definitely ping the system vendor as well.
    Last edited by bridgman; 05-24-2012 at 08:25 PM.

My response to this, which you ignored, was that we couldn't divert funds from the Catalyst Linux driver without hurting its usefulness for it's target market (3D workstation) and so the chances of it increasing funding for in-house open source development seemed very low (the risk of it *reducing* funding seemed higher).
    LOL you lie in your writing because you know he never talks about "catalyst-users-money-funds" he only talk about the opensource peoples money funds. because of this its complete bullshit what you writing here.
    you say something like this: we need the open-source peoples money to fund the catalyst to be successful in the 3D-Workstation market.

well yes maybe i should stop buying AMD cards just to make sure my opensource money don't go into the closed source catalyst driver because exactly this is your and AMDs plan you (amd)steal the money from open source people and invest it in closed source

2. One or more kickstarter-type projects aimed at specific improvements in the open source stack, whether driver-specific or generic. My response to this was essentially "seems like a good idea" but you seemed to be suggesting that AMD had to set those projects up and I never understood your reasoning for that.
    yes its much simpler than that: just stop buying amd hardware then the problem is solved ?

Currently the proprietary drivers (all of them AFAIK) replace a lot of the open source graphics stack with proprietary interfaces. Until similar improvements are made in the generic open source framework, which *will* take a fair amount of time and effort, there will be gaps between open source and proprietary stacks. I am agitating internally for our proprietary driver folks to help where they can by pushing enhancements into the common framework where possible, and should know the outcome in early 2013.
    yes yes yet another plan from microsoft to push DRM (UVD) proprietary interfaces into the opensource world.

i call it FUD and we will get more FUD in 2013.. yes yes.

Usual question -- by "complete disinterest" do you mean "bridgman didn't agree with your suggestions" or something more ?
    i think he means your "evil Mens rea" i proved it multiple time.
    just a example: will the linux market share grow ? (we don't know the future) but you make points who are only possible if the market share do not grow in the future. sure its your subjective opinion but the question is: why is your subjective opinion about linux negative?

thats your evil mens rea and it feels like a "joke" to any open-source advocates

the people from radeonHD feel in the same way some of them told me that in the past.

in other words: you are not a friend to "opensource" and your blueray player and your windows vista computer and your behavior prove this.

We can take you seriously again if you sell your windows vista computer (better trash it in the garbage) also sell your blue ray player and then prise the opensource market share grow every day.

in other words: you are not a friend to "opensource" and your blueray player and your windows vista computer and your behavior prove this.
    We can take you seriously again if you sell your windows vista computer (better trash it in the garbage) also sell your blue ray player and then prise the opensource market share grow every day.
    Could you please stop your pointless accusations and thread-hijacking?!

As Qaridarium is constantly breaking the forum rules 1 and 2:

01.) Absolutely no flaming, name calling, sexual harassment, or other personal attacks will be permitted. Respect everyone, including the moderators and administrators.

02.) No thread jacking will be permitted.
    ...should he be banned already? I mean I can't be the only one who is completely fed up with this shit and it also severely damages the image of the forum.

What I'm told is that the implementation details of the mux'ed PX systems varied pretty widely from one vendor to the nextso our PX specs included a requirement for a BIOS switch between integrated / discrete / auto if the vendor wanted to support anything other than Win7. Problem is that the BIOS switch didn't get implemented anywhere near as widely as we hoped.
    this was just another evil plan to harm linux and opensource.
    Like UEFI bullshit. every year another bullshit last year "mux'ed PX systems" and next year UEFI

how much money do Microsoft pay to AMD for such a bullshit?

a well you already give us the answer AMD is innocent because its only the evil microsoft payed "vendor" LOL

yes yes we all know the "lies" shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Could you please stop your pointless accusations and thread-hijacking?!
    "bridgman:
    Usual question -- by "complete disinterest" do you mean "bridgman didn't agree with your suggestions" or something more ?"

Bridgman ask and Bridgman get a answer. nothing special.

maybe he should not ask questions about his evilness?