Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DDX X.Org Server API Changes Are Pushed

Phoronix: New DDX X.Org Server API Changes Are Pushed

The first step of the X.Org Server API changes for the DDX drivers to allow for some more modern GPU driver functionality has landed in the mainline Git repository for the xorg-server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just can't seem to remember, but since it's the DDX drivers, this doesn't apply to Gallium? Or are they the same? DDX are the old ones right? *confused*

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      I just can't seem to remember, but since it's the DDX drivers, this doesn't apply to Gallium? Or are they the same? DDX are the old ones right? *confused*
      DDX drivers are the 2D only ones in X, so it doesn't have anything to do with Mesa or Gallium.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        DDX drivers are the 2D only ones in X, so it doesn't have anything to do with Mesa or Gallium.
        Ah ok, thanks.

Comment

Jeez. This could all land in time for the Fall distro cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Not anything? Don't they use some 2d state trackers like XAA and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              Not anything? Don't they use some 2d state trackers like XAA and stuff?
              XAA is the old acceleration architecture for the DDX drivers this was superseded by EXA and UXA, SNA & Glamour in the Intel DDX

There is an xorg statetracker and a new xa statetracker. The latter is only used by one of the virtualisation drivers. The former is only really now being used by the RadeonSI driver but can potentially be used by any gallium driver. It basically creates a DDX driver

Hope this helps

Comment

Yes, was meant to be xa.

I meant to ask: ddx drivers can (and some do) use gallium stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  Yes, was meant to be xa.

I meant to ask: ddx drivers can (and some do) use gallium stuff...
                  No, it's the reverse. The gallium stuff can replace the old DDX drivers, at least theoretically. DDX doesn't use gallium.

I'm guessing the xa state tracker in gallium will have to get the same API changes the ati/intel/nouveau DDX drivers are getting here.

Comment

Working...
                  X