Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Makes Rare X.Org/Wayland Contribution

Phoronix: Canonical Makes Rare X.Org/Wayland Contribution

While Canonical is known -- and commonly criticized -- for not investing in making heavy, low-level upstream Linux contributions, today a set of patches intended for upstream were published by a Canonical engineer concerning XWayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'the Canonical employee suggests that it's fine to merge to master. "This is mostly just for testing, although it should be safe to apply to nouveau trunk."'

I think RAOF meant "You can probably safely apply this locally." Not "This is ready to be merged to upstream master."

"up to this point there's been the xf86-video-intel support."

Also WLSHM ( http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/001163.html ) which works on all hardware, and Radeon ( https://github.com/timon37/xf86-video-ati ). So DDXes are pretty well covered at this point. They're in the xwayland build instructions: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html
    Both of those were broken by RAOF's changes and need to be updated.

Comment

Great

If I use XWayland, do I even need GTK+ and Qt+ compiled for Wayland?

Can I use XWayland and X runs on Wayland everything magically works without any Wayland-specific porting of anything?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        If I use XWayland, do I even need GTK+ and Qt+ compiled for Wayland?
        Not really.

Can I use XWayland and X runs on Wayland everything magically works without any Wayland-specific porting of anything?
        That's the idea. There are still a couple problems to be fixed. Typing a URL into firefox or chromium under xwayland is currently broken (Tiago Vignatti has been working on it), and the radeon and wlshm DDXes need to be updated for a very recent xserver change, so they don't work (nobody is working on them).
        Last edited by Darxus; 23 May 2012, 05:00 PM. Reason: More detail in parens.

Comment

Video of supertuxkart, firefox, and evince working like this: http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/d...-xwayland.html

Comment

Proprietary

What about for people running the proprietary device drivers?

Comment

What about for people running the proprietary device drivers?
              So far nobody has added the features needed by wayland to any proprietary drivers. At the recent Ubuntu Developer Summit there was some interesting discussion about coming up with a simple set of requirements to communicate to Nvidia and AMD, once they actually have a usable desktop with a wayland system compositor.

Comment

It's very good to see Ubuntu fixing things.

Because doing the more boring stuff to make sure everything works is what companies do best.

But Ubuntu 12.10 seriously?
                That does not seem like a realistic goal to me.
                They will end up with reasonably stable support in Ubuntu 13.04 or later anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                  But Ubuntu 12.10 seriously?
                  That does not seem like a realistic goal to me.
                  That's only because you don't know what you're talking about. A rooted X server running as a wayland client isn't hard. They're not talking about applications being able to run as wayland clients.

Comment

LLVMpipe

Can you run Wayland with LLVMpipe?
                    And softpipe?

Comment

Working...
                    X