No announcement yet.

The May 2012 Open-Source Radeon Graphics Showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the CGA color scheme of these graphs. Very appropriate!

Comment

HD4890 with both pcie_gen2 and ColorTiling2D enabled

All running very nicely with my 3.3.6 kernel and radeon_drv from git. Can't tell if it's any faster, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        isn't a xorg.conf obsolete ?
        It would be but certain people freak out when others are allowed to use their computer how they want. Freedom and all that rot obviously doesn't apply to using certain software.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          "and setting ColorTiling and ColorTiling2D to true within the xorg.conf."

isn't a xorg.conf obsolete ?

is there a commando for the .pam_environment file ?

anyway just a explain how to activate this feature?
          xorg.conf isn't and has never been obsolete. You use xorg.conf.d now, but the idea is the same. You only need to include the Device section for the graphics driver. Everything else is autodetected (unless you want to customize those things too and then you can include those in xorg.conf.d).

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Interesting. The test log shows: Option "SwapbuffersWait" "0"
            http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...aked/xorg.conf
            True, but i use much more slower cpu, pcie_gen2=1, vblank_mode=0, "SwapbuffersWait" "0" and have more FPS. Must be a reason.

Lightsmark 62 vs 128
            Openarena 0.8.8 22 vs 44
            Nexuiz 51 vs 76

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
              True, but i use much more slower cpu, pcie_gen2=1, vblank_mode=0, "SwapbuffersWait" "0" and have more FPS. Must be a reason.

Lightsmark 62 vs 128
              Openarena 0.8.8 22 vs 44
              Nexuiz 51 vs 76
              Can you test with openbenchmarking and upload link to your results please?

Comment

Why?

May be someone know: Why so big difference between propriatiry and opensource drivers? Something was not implemented or only not fully optimized...

Comment

Originally posted by denisdevelops View Post
                  May be someone know: Why so big difference between propriatiry and opensource drivers? Something was not implemented or only not fully optimized...
                  The few developers are too busy writing the drivers to even think about optimization. 30%-60% speed is the maximum we can expect I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Can you test with openbenchmarking and upload link to your results please?
                    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

PTS run from my livecd, so anyone can reproduce the results.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
                      xorg.conf isn't and has never been obsolete. You use xorg.conf.d now, but the idea is the same. You only need to include the Device section for the graphics driver. Everything else is autodetected (unless you want to customize those things too and then you can include those in xorg.conf.d).
                      This.

What's obsolete is the everything-including-the-kitchen-sink xorg.conf. Now you create just the section where you're configuring something. So if it's disabling SwapBuffersWait you want, you create the Device section and only that. Also, you now have the flexibility of multiple config files. If it makes it easier to wrap your head around it, think of xorg.conf as xorg.conf.d/99-something.conf

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                      Hmm, Unity vs. non-Unity?

Comment

Working...
                      X