X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plymouth

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Nvidia, can I please have KMS (kernel mode setting) support?
    Here we go again... Why exactly?
    Plymouth.
    Smooth boot experience without any flicker.

Comment

Plymouth.
      /facepalm ...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Oops, my memory is playing tricks on me. I was referring to this one: http://askubuntu.com/questions/13090...realtime-kerne
        It's not about a newer kernel, it's about a newer X server actually. My bad.
        Ah, that makes more sense. I still find it kinda interesting, as I don't think it'd take much work to support earlier versions, but it makes sense.

Plymouth.
        You don't need KMS for that. Also, this fascination some have with the boot process is... fascinating. I currently have an uptime of 18 days. And even on the netbook or laptop, which get restarted more often, why on Earth should I care how the boot process looks? What goes on when the machine is operational is what matters. Also, you don't get any flicker already even before you get to Linux starting?

I would understand it more if you said high-res console. Even though I only use it if X isn't working for some reason, a high-res console comes in handy. Here's the kicker though: you don't need KMS for that either!

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        /facepalm ...
        Word.

Comment

You don't need KMS for that. Also, this fascination some have with the boot process is... fascinating. I currently have an uptime of 18 days. And even on the netbook or laptop, which get restarted more often, why on Earth should I care how the boot process looks? What goes on when the machine is operational is what matters. Also, you don't get any flicker already even before you get to Linux starting?

I would understand it more if you said high-res console. Even though I only use it if X isn't working for some reason, a high-res console comes in handy. Here's the kicker though: you don't need KMS for that either!
          Plymouth sucks without KMS. You get like 640x480 low screen resolution on a 24", it looks horrible. Then there is a mode change to 1920x1200, and it flickers.

Also with KMS you get instant VT switching, with F1-F7 in an instant, no delay. Very smooth.

I am not one of those assholes with their computers on day and night and 18 day uptime. I turn on my computer when I use it, then I turn it off when I don't use it.
          Saving energy, you know? Taking care of the environment.

Comment

Plymouth sucks without KMS. You get like 640x480 low screen resolution on a 24", it looks horrible. Then there is a mode change to 1920x1200, and it flickers.

Also with KMS you get instant VT switching, with F1-F7 in an instant, no delay. Very smooth.
            And again, KMS isn't a requirement for these.

I am not one of those assholes with their computers on day and night and 18 day uptime. I turn on my computer when I use it, then I turn it off when I don't use it.
            Saving energy, you know? Taking care of the environment.
            Thank you for calling me an asshole. I try my best. Though I noticed you completely ignored me saying I don't care about the look of the boot process even on machines I *don't* have on all the time. You also didn't answer regarding flicker before Linux starts. Name-calling is more fun I guess.

Comment

Did this driver fixed total PC freez with older graphics cards (7000 and 8000 series), that 302.07 had?

Comment

Get rid of plymouth (or at least the splash screen). All it does is hide important boot messages. I'm glad Debian doesn't use plymouth. Hell, I even made a PPA so Ubuntu users could get rid of plymouth without removing important stuff.. https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archi...acks/+packages

Comment

And again, KMS isn't a requirement for these.
                  When I am using Nouveau I get 1900x1200, and fast VT-switching.
                  When I am using the proprietary Nvidia drivers I get 640x480 and VT-switching takes seconds.

Yeah, I know I can pass some boot parameters to the kernel such as vga=973 or something by editing the GRUB config file.
                  But thanks to KMS, it "just works" with Nouveau.

Comment

I'm not.sure KMS was such a great idea to begin with. For example, is it possible to switch between nouveau and blob without rebooting? It seems thanks to KMS you can't ever unload the nouveau kernel module, whereas the blob is only needed to start X. That also allows for easy driver updates w/o reboot.

Comment

When I am using Nouveau I get 1900x1200, and fast VT-switching.
                      When I am using the proprietary Nvidia drivers I get 640x480 and VT-switching takes seconds.
                      Yes, because nvidia doesn't have a fbcon driver. But, (it's obvious what I'm goign to say right now), you don't need KMS for that.

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                      I'm not.sure KMS was such a great idea to begin with. For example, is it possible to switch between nouveau and blob without rebooting? It seems thanks to KMS you can't ever unload the nouveau kernel module, whereas the blob is only needed to start X.
                      KMS was a great idea. Where do you think nvidia does modesetting? In the kernel. Well, in their module. But that's still kernel-space. And yes, you can switch between drivers without reboot. You need to unbind nouveau from the console, then you can rmmod the module. From here:
                      Code:
                      echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
                      rmmod nouveau
                      /etc/init.d/consolefont restart
                      rmmod ttm
                      rmmod drm_kms_helper
                      rmmod drm
                      Last edited by Gusar; 21 May 2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X