Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does NVIDIA's cloud gaming open up Linux gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does NVIDIA's cloud gaming open up Linux gaming?

So it appears that NVIDIA is going to push this "cloud gaming" concept. If it takes off, it seems it would make gaming easily available on Linux systems (for a fee, of course).

The frames will be rendered by GPUs in the cloud and encoded into h.264, then sent over the network. In theory the local native app would merely need to decode h.264 (trivial) and handle / pass user input to the network service.

I'm sure such a service wouldn't be a great value, but it seems like it at least opens Linux up to the market.

Thoughts?

It's not something new. This services exist for years.

OnLive - no browser plugin for Linux.
    Gaikai - doesn't work with IcedTea 6. You may check this yourself with Oracle Java.

Comment

No one want this lag shit. Cloud gaming has the quality of facebook gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Desti View Post
        No one want this lag shit. Cloud gaming has the quality of facebook gaming.
        Facebook is better actually, since it runs on your machine (Flash), not remotely.

Comment

Flash lags even on w7 64-bit with high-end i7 + 8gb ram given enough action on the screen, which is not much. Yes it's terribly coded instead of limited by latency, but the result is much the same.

Comment

Latency is a concern of course but isn't streaming video pretty trivial? And don't people play RPGs, etc. online where the events are handled remotely?

Comment

Sending merely game events is quite different from the whole stream.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Latency is a concern of course but isn't streaming video pretty trivial? And don't people play RPGs, etc. online where the events are handled remotely?
                Online RPGs are rendered on the GPU of the client. This service sends your input to a remote server, then that remote server renders the game on it's own GPU , then it encodes it into video, then sends that video through the internet, then your PC decodes that video and displays it.

And, if you're playing an online RPG, the above is added to the already existing latency, so it's even worse.

Comment

Yes, I understand all of that... I'm just not sure how much latency we're talking about. I assume people are streaming video these days without problems (from Netflix, etc.)?

It's not necessarily going to be my preferred service of course, especially considering the costs. But if it significantly improves within the next 2-3 years, I don't see any technical reasons why Linux can't get the same game action as other platforms. If it isn't viable it'll never take off, so it's a moot point in that case.

Comment

Working...
                  X