Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandriva Linux Turned Over To The Community

Phoronix: Mandriva Linux Turned Over To The Community

As the latest path for the bumpy and long road of Mandrake/Mandriva Linux, the Mandriva Linux distribution has been turned over to the community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'fledging' is right... I forgot that they even EXIST.

Comment

"It''s dead, Jim."

Comment

Has it ever not been bumpy? I remember Mandrake practically begging its users back in 2002 when I started using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          Has it ever not been bumpy? I remember Mandrake practically begging its users back in 2002 when I started using it.
          Back in 2002 they lead the coolness list on www.distrowatch.com

Code:
          Rank 	Distribution 	H.P.D*
          1 	Mandrake 	473
          2 	Red Hat 	453
          3 	Gentoo 	 	326
          4 	Debian 	 	311
          5 	Sorcerer 	253
          6 	SuSE 	 	250
          7 	Slackware 	216
          8 	Lycoris 	209
          9 	Lindows 	151
          10 	Xandros 	123
          Still, their finances may have been different.

Comment

i do feel bad for them but linux is a lot like evolution - its survival of the fittest. mandrake/mandriva, and even magea for that matter don't really offer anything compelling for their users to keep following them. i feel that way for about 90% of all distros out there. if it were up to me, the only desktop distros would be:

* barebone variations (in order of easiest to use to hardest): debian, arch, and gentoo, and maybe something like slackware
            * ONE variant for each barebone shipping with GUI (mate, kde4, gnome3, xfce, lxde/openbox)
            * And one variant of each of those that would come with many proprietary drivers or just anything to get newbs started

I don't have a problem with specialized distros such as ubuntu studio or parted magic, but even they are starting to become a little excessive. i also don't have a problem with the hardware specific distros or the experimental kinds. anyways, this would eventually come out to about 50 variants of distros, more or less, and even though that number seems pretty high, i'd say maybe only 5 of those would be very popular.

Comment

*tumbleweed*

Comment

Working...
              X