Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Glamor Acceleration Compared To SNA, UXA

Phoronix: Intel Glamor Acceleration Compared To SNA, UXA

Going back to last year there's been the "Glamor Acceleration" project out of Intel to accelerate the 2D operations within X using OpenGL on Mesa. This is similar to the Xorg state tracker approach and while it's not yet enabled by default, Intel OTC developers have been making much progress in recent months. In this article is a look at the recent Glamor update while comparing it to the stock Intel UXA acceleration as well as to the other experimental acceleration option: Intel SNA.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SNA on GMA

I would be interested if Intel SNA driver improvements would pay out for a GMA950 or GMA3150 netbook integrated graphics. I mean is there general improvement to intel drivers or only the sna parts.

Greetings
    Last edited by atcl; 17 May 2012, 05:59 AM.

Comment

At least GMA45 gets benefits from sna.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

SNA is supported all the way down to Gen2 (i8xx, except 810/815). So I too would be interested in tests on those low-end GPUs, particularly the netbook ones.

Comment

And now let Intel will add only a good driver management manager, as it is under Windows and you can use their drivers

Comment

Once again I am confounded by your results, so I ran the benchmarks locally (though it appears that I no longer have glamor on the i5-2520m) to check: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1205175SU41 There are some interesting conclusions one can draw from the relative performance on a desktop chip with HD2000 and a mobile chip with HD3000; where the test is GPU bound the lower power SNB is indeed faster than its desktop brethren, but the higher frequency CPU cores and memory on the desktop is hard to compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by atcl View Post
              I would be interested if Intel SNA driver improvements would pay out for a GMA950 or GMA3150 netbook integrated graphics. I mean is there general improvement to intel drivers or only the sna parts.

Greetings
              gtkperf runs in half the time with SNA instead of UXA using a GMA950 here.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info! I downloaded the current tar already. Do I just need to compile it with --enable-sna and everything is fine to use sna? The documentation on options is pretty sparse...

Comment

Originally posted by atcl View Post
                  Thanks for the info! I downloaded the current tar already. Do I just need to compile it with --enable-sna and everything is fine to use sna? The documentation on options is pretty sparse...
                  What options were you expecting? Every option is a workaround for a driver bug, it is meant to just work...

Comment

I'd love if the SNA work was applicable to the GMA500. I have video acceleration (VA-API) and all that working and it's pretty nice, certain 2D operations are quite a bit slower than it seems like they should be so if SNA has different caching and memory management strategies I expect it could radically affect performance on it too. I don't know where the "binary blob"/"open source" line is on this driver though, if the blob insists on managing memory itself than nothing can be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X