Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Preps To Push More Mainline Kernel Code

Phoronix: VMware Preps To Push More Mainline Kernel Code

To further enhance the Linux virtualization experience with VMware products, the company is preparing to push the Virtual Machine Communication Interface and VMCI Sockets into the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is Vmware allowed to plant hooks to its closed, proprietary products directly into the linux kernel ?

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
      Why is Vmware allowed to plant hooks to its closed, proprietary products directly into the linux kernel ?
      Because Linux devs said "we don't offer a driver ABI because vendors should put their drivers in the kernel". So VMWare now puts their drivers in the kernel.

Comment

VMware-specific?

Is this VMware-specific or something that could easily be used by other virtual machines also?

I think it is great that VMware is contributing open source code to the kernel.
        But I will not use VMware since it is proprietary software, I only use free open source software.

Comment

Refusing to use proprietary software, simply because its not opensource is retarded. Use whats best for the job.

Comment

He doesn't even realize that he used proprietary software to post to this forum (vBulletin).

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Because Linux devs said "we don't offer a driver ABI because vendors should put their drivers in the kernel". So VMWare now puts their drivers in the kernel.
              You didn't even really understand that question, did you? Better start some good old ABI flame war.

The answer is: It seems they won't be getting it in (easily), exactly because it's only used by them. Like everybody else they will be encouraged to use facilities and interfaces that are available, and make new stuff generic so everybody can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
                Why are you using a computer with closed-source BIOS and closed-source microcode, an ethernet card with closed-source microcode, keyboard and mouse with closed-source microcode, a DSL modem with closed-source microcode, and a digital display with closed-source microcode? What about the controller processors on your disk drives? Do you have the source code to these proprietary products? If not you should immediately rip all of these things out of your computer and throw them in the trash.

Really you need to abandon all motor vehicles immediately and start walking, because it would be hard to name a motorized vehicle that does not contain many many thousands of lines of closed-source software code.

You should stay out of the hospital too, because heaven help you if your medical data is handled by closed-source software.
                Last edited by frantaylor; 16 May 2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                  You didn't even really understand that question, did you? Better start some good old ABI flame war.

The answer is: It seems they won't be getting it in (easily), exactly because it's only used by them. Like everybody else they will be encouraged to use facilities and interfaces that are available, and make new stuff generic so everybody can use it.
                  I see no strong indication of that. Which isn't a bad idea, mind you. But it doesn't look like a requirement at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    (I use VMware Fusion on my main business system)
                    So, It means Michael's main OS is OS X, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                    X