VMware Preps To Push More Mainline Kernel Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
    So, It means Michael's main OS is OS X, doesn't it?
    Yes, he confirm that few times.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Yes, he confirm that few times.
      That's interesting, do you maybe have a link to such a story?

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
        The answer is: It seems they won't be getting it in (easily), exactly because it's only used by them. Like everybody else they will be encouraged to use facilities and interfaces that are available, and make new stuff generic so everybody can use it.
        Having read through the salient kernel dev mailing list posts (link in article), your answer gets the gold star.

The rest of you: take a chill pill.

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
          So, It means Michael's main OS is OS X, doesn't it?
          who cares and why does it matter?

Phoronix covers *nix systems and MacOSX is just that. I don't think Michael needs to be a 'linux/FOSS purist'. Myself, i use both Mac and Linux.

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
          Having read through the salient kernel dev mailing list posts (link in article), your answer gets the gold star.

The rest of you: take a chill pill.
          +1 it's funny how people comment on this stuff (especially those who don't even use/own VMware) and also don't even bother to read the available information.

Myself, i would have no problem with VMware improving support for their userbase, not having to recompile VMW modules on every kernel update would be awesome x10 ~ that could mean integrating/upstreaming their kernel modules, but it could also work the other way (as suggested in the mailing list) by using/extending KVM's interfaces to do the job. Hopefully, they look into both options and do whatever is the best fit for everyone, and equally important -> works the best.

anyways, it's good to see that VMware would like to improve things and that there is some review and discussion happening between developers on the matter. this can only mean good things, in the long run.

my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            Phoronix covers *nix systems and MacOSX is just that. I don't think Michael needs to be a 'linux/FOSS purist'. Myself, i use both Mac and Linux.
            Originally posted by Phoronix Front Page Title
            [Phoronix] Linux Hardware Reviews, Benchmarking, & Gaming
            ten characters

Comment

About open source and vmware...
              What I was told:
              1. they also offer the hypervisor for free (as in cost)
              2. the others already know how ESXi works

I noticed so far that hardware support is very basic and limited to certain models.

//edit: as a matter of fact, most people out there are talking about compatibility and if it would run on their hardware.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phoronix Front Page Title;
                [Phoronix] Linux Hardware Reviews, Benchmarking, & Gaming
                Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                ten characters
                ...and yet over the years we see articles with Solaris, BSDs, MacOSX, etc, fuck even Haiku. ...None of which are Linux. Do you care to explain that then, since you feel it is necessary to assert to me that Phoronix is a linux-only website?

.....After all, it would seem you think my description is inaccurate (which it is not) or you haven't been visiting the site long and/or you are just daft.
                cheerz
                Last edited by ninez; 18 May 2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X