Wine-Mono: Marrying Mono With WINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    Oh boy, this has gotten out of hand pretty quick.
    I TOTALLY agree with YOUR POINT!

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
      "I have made a mistake. Cutting my losses and re-implementing my application from the end of UML phase in a cross-platform language is the the most sane course. I won't make the same mistake ever again."
      Except it's already in a cross-platform language. Ever heard of the Mono project?

Comment

I see Mono (.NET) the exact same way as JRE (Java). I'd rather see native apps. But I can live with running virtualised apps. If those are not available, then run things over Wine. If that doesn't help, use a virtual machine. And then dual boot.

Now if this merge would allow for executing applications in Wine that are generally Windows-only and require the .NET Framework, then I welcome this initiative (the installation of the Framework right now is a tragedy - it doesn't work on 64-bit wine prefixes at all, and requires winetricks - hence losing official support - and a lot of luck so that the installation succeeds anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          Oh boy, this has gotten out of hand pretty quick.
          yup, never fails when the Windows fanbois mix it up with the diehard Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I'd rather see native apps.
            People say this, but they don't really mean it. They mean "Java apps are horrible, and I know .NET is like Java, so I hate Mono apps too"

Python apps are not native, but people want them.

Gnome Shell is Javascript, which sure as hell ain't native.

System management is all done with Ruby and Python and Perl and Bash and stuff.

Even something like Firefox or Thunderbird is up for debate - Xul runtime with the entire browser or mail client written in Xul?

Unity2D written with Qt Meta Language (i.e. scripting not "native")

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              You don't seem to understand: Mono exists. Also there are a lot of talented .Net developers out there so that one of the obvious reason why someone might want to develope applications using it. Many projects start small (startups) so there might not be resources nor talent to use other langugues or support other operating systems.

Yeah again... you are not an authority. You rambling idiot in the internet. Your "personal knowledge" or alledged "experience" ammount to nothing. I have no idea why do you ever write your posts, I mean do you honestly think that someone is going to take you seriously if you call them retards? You have already pretty much labeled yourself as a troll.

Where exactly does it say that using Mono might lead to litigation as a result of IP theft?

It's one of the factors to be taken in account, yes. There however aren't any major threats in using Mono so it's not that big of deal in this case. Mono isn't exactly MS product either and using it doesn't limit yourself to using MS Platforms unless you think that Linux and Mac OS X now somehow are "MS Platforms"...

Well then any sane person is going to categorize what you say by default to being bullshit unless they happen to have the needed knowledge which I think in this case would lead to same conclusion.

Mircosoft is doing extremely well right now actually. source. You screaming and yelling that Mono is "crap" and everything doesn't mean anything unless you back it up.

Your logic sucks.

source

I'm not even going to bother wasting my time reading your spew. You're obviously RETARDED

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                You have to admit it's fscking hilarious that the mention of Mono (even in this context) will have people at each others' throats and banging their CAPS LOCK keys for emphasis. I'm surprised we haven't seen enlarged and/or bolded text yet...
                Just for you. And I threw in some color too!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  I'm not even going to bother wasting my time reading your spew. You're obviously RETARDED
                  Spoken with the eloquence of Shakespeare himself.

You would do well to read http://apebox.org/wordpress/rants/163/ - just as accurate now as it was when I wrote it 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                    Python apps are not native, but people want them.

Gnome Shell is Javascript, which sure as hell ain't native.

System management is all done with Ruby and Python and Perl and Bash and stuff.

Even something like Firefox or Thunderbird is up for debate - Xul runtime with the entire browser or mail client written in Xul?

Unity2D written with Qt Meta Language (i.e. scripting not "native")
                    People complain about the excessive resource usage, slow start and bad interactivity of default Ubuntu and Fedora exactly because they're in love with Python and most of their auto-start nicety applets are Python GUIs. To me that means exactly the opposite of "people want Python apps".

Have you perhaps not noticed that Gnome Shell and Unity are nearly universally hated too? Though that is not because of their languages, but because of their design.

Even the purported wisdom in XUL GUIs has been questioned time and time again, but it's very themeable and what Mozilla wants, so that's not changing.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                      Except it's already in a cross-platform language. Ever heard of the Mono project?
                      The patent-encumbered re-implementation of Microsoft's .NET runtime? Indeed I have.
                      Ever hear of MSJVM?

Comment

Working...
                      X