Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GTX 680: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 12.04

Phoronix: NVIDIA GTX 680: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 12.04

Following up on the performance comparison earlier this month of comparing Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge graphics between Windows and Linux, up today are the results of a comparison of Windows 7 to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS when using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 "Kepler" graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised it did as well as it did - I had to use metacity because gaming performance was pretty well murdered by compiz in this release. Even better, the unredirecting pixmap option breaks compiz when enabled.

Comment

I'd like to see the same test results on a GeForce graphics card in the ~200? field.

Comment

While the performance seems to be comparable, I wonder how much performance improvement we'll see using Wayland. Will this push the linux graphics stack past windows? It'll be nice having a display server without all the X11 cruft that was based on 1980's graphics cards either way.

Too bad Nvidia doesn't play to support the protocol... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
          While the performance seems to be comparable, I wonder how much performance improvement we'll see using Wayland. Will this push the linux graphics stack past windows? It'll be nice having a display server without all the X11 cruft that was based on 1980's graphics cards either way.

Too bad Nvidia doesn't play to support the protocol... yet.
          There is one thing which can shatter this dream. The proprietary driver is already so detached from X, that removal of X could make no difference. Of course, the free drivers have more potential. Some old hardware already performs better than on Windows.
          Last edited by Hirager; 16 May 2012, 08:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'd be more interested in seeing the occasional comparison of the two doing something like running the Cycles renderer in Blender rather than these same few games each time. Unfortunately you can't really compare the AMD and NVIDIA cards (since Catalyst drivers have botched up OpenCL support), but you can compare like with like.

Comment

... And this with Unity 3D.

Maybe in 2019 Phoronix will ceases to compare the slow(est) [1] WM [2] to Windows and OSX.
              *Sigh*

- Gilboa
              [1]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_desktop_managers1 &num=4
              [2] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...desktops&num=2
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                There is one thing which can shatter this dream. The proprietary driver is already so detached from X, that removal of X could make no difference. Of course, the free drivers have more potential. Some old hardware already performs better than on Windows.
                X.Org isn't the reason 3D performance is poor on open source drivers anyways. Mesa is the problem with 3D graphics stack. X.Org does have some issues, like in events and input, things that make compositing difficult. Things like running multiple drivers at the same time, and GPGPU computing are difficult because of X. X.Org nor X11 impose any significant limitation on the performance 3D games.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  Maybe in 2019 Phoronix will ceases to compare the slow(est) [1] WM [2] to Windows and OSX.
                  *Sigh*
                  Ubuntu is the most popular desktop Linux distribution so comparing to it is only natural and it just happen to use Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    since Catalyst drivers have botched up OpenCL support
                    Care to explain? I've successfully used the Catalyst drivers + APPSDK for OpenCL development on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu (11.04 and 11.10 at least). Did they break something in the newest versions that I haven't heard about?

Comment

Working...
                    X