Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasteland 2 To Run On Unity Game Engine

Phoronix: Wasteland 2 To Run On Unity Game Engine

Wasteland 2, the very successful Kickstarter game project as the sequel to the two-decade-old Wasteland RPG, will be running on the Unity Engine with its Linux client included...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if this means we're gonna get a copy of the unity web player that would be awesome

Comment

I just watched through the 2012 GDC reel on the Unity3D website. There's some fun-looking stuff in there, and an engine port to Linux might mean some of these games will be released on Linux as well. Sounds great to me.

Comment

Finally.

We've been waiting for half of forever and Unity keeps teasing us. I was worried it was going to be another Epic/UT3 slap in the face.

Comment

They get almost 3 million and wont ever release anything using open source license.This does not change the traditional way of sell games.It's the same overpowered use of copyright like game-media giants.

Comment

All things considered, that's great news. I hope they deliver on their promises!

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
              They get almost 3 million and wont ever release anything using open source license.This does not change the traditional way of sell games.It's the same overpowered use of copyright like game-media giants.
              I feel your pain, but if you pledged expecting anything from Wasteland 2 to be open-sourced, you should probably ask for your money back. I just looked at the Kickstarter page, and there's no mention of open-source anything.

The way the game was funded may or may not change how games are funded, but one thing's for sure: it definitely changed everything for Brian Fargo and his company- this game was never going to get made otherwise.

I saw a similar sentiment elsewhere that was annoyed Wasteland 2 didn't create or re-use an in-house engine. That's also silly- did you want a new open source game engine, or did you want Wasteland 2 for Linux? By using an existing high-quality engine, you can squeeze a lot more out of your budget then if you need to create your own engine.

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
                we are lucky to get a linux port.

and even luckier they putting pressure on unity to port to linux.

That's more for the future of linux than just open sourcing this one game (which could also happen some time in the future).

Woa what an ungrateful shortsighted comment.

now lets look at some games that not only promise but are based on open source like OverDose which have received little to no support.
                Last edited by madjr; 14 May 2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Proprietary

Sad to hear they chose a proprietary engine.
                  I'd rather see them choose a open source engine.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                    now lets look at some games that not only promise but are based on open source like OverDose which have received little to no support.
                    Where is the promise for Linux support? Not mentioned on the ModDB page...

Comment

Working...
                    X