Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Two-Second Boot Time With systemd

Phoronix: A Two-Second Boot Time With systemd

Lennart Poettering has written a guide for optimizing systemd to the extent that a two-second boot-time or less for this popular free software project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yep!
    Code:
    $ systemd-analyze time
    Startup finished in 1290ms (kernel) + 5834ms (userspace) = 7125ms
    And this is even with serious services running:
    Code:
    $ systemd-analyze blame
      2449ms mysqld.service
       966ms netfs.service
       793ms NetworkManager.service
       689ms opt.mount
       621ms nxserver.service
       518ms chronyd.service
       505ms httpd.service

Comment

Well, default systemd:

But aside from that, starting KDE still takes 5+ seconds, even with an SSD. So what's the point for desktop distributions in extremely fast booting when the desktop environment still takes multiple times the boot times to start up?

Comment

Originally posted by cygn View Post
        yep!
        Code:
        $ systemd-analyze time
        Startup finished in 1290ms (kernel) + 5834ms (userspace) = 7125ms
        And this is even with serious services running:
        Code:
        $ systemd-analyze blame
          2449ms mysqld.service
           966ms netfs.service
           793ms NetworkManager.service
           689ms opt.mount
           621ms nxserver.service
           518ms chronyd.service
           505ms httpd.service
        How about on older computers? A single core P4-HT? A 1ghz Duron?

I think it's great either way, but I didn't see any target system mentioned and my curiosity is raised.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          But aside from that, starting KDE still takes 5+ seconds, even with an SSD. So what's the point for desktop distributions in extremely fast booting when the desktop environment still takes multiple times the boot times to start up?
          Um, if my math serves me correctly - your bootup time would be 7 seconds.

Which is sweet. Much better than what we have today, no?

Besides, you should see what Martin Graesslin is up to:

I haven’t been blogging about KWin for quite some time, so it’s way time to write what I recently worked on for KWin. The big topic of the work of the last two weeks is improving the st…

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            Um, if my math serves me correctly - your bootup time would be 7 seconds.
            Which is sweet. Much better than what we have today, no?
            With standard systemd and e4rat with a rotational hard disk my boot was pretty much completely I/O bound. I now use an SSD and in my graph I see very few seconds for the actual boot. psd.service is "profile-sync-daemon" and it copies my firefox profile in a tmpfs. So once the overwhelming majority of my boot time is I/O.

Comment

ChrisXY, if you use the nvidia drivers, it delays X startup by 4 seconds. Could this be extending your KDE startup times?

I was wondering because on my parents machine (an AMD A6-3500 based system) KDE starts up in about 2 seconds, whereas my old Dell notebook starts KDE in about 8 seconds, and I found half the time it is just waiting for the Nvidia driver to initialize something.

Comment

open source radeon driver, but my .kde4 is 116M and .local/share/akonadi/ is 283M.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  open source radeon driver, but my .kde4 is 116M and .local/share/akonadi/ is 283M.

wow!

Comment

I've just read the tips for making systemd booting faster. ATM, I use it as my default init program. Unfortunately, it seems some tips mentioned in the FreeDesktop-related site apply only for Fedora, excluding other linux distros...

Simultaneously, I don't understand why using a bloated DE such as GNOME 3 / KDE 4 can make systemd faster (are there any specific optimizations for those DE's that exist on systemd code?). ATM I use Openbox and I don't have any of the *kits (ConsoleKit, PolKit, etc.) enabled. Btw, my Core i7 system loads in less than 5 seconds...

Cheers

p.s.: The systemd tips btw, are great for those who think that systemd is bloat, which is not, btw...

Comment

Working...
                    X