Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed open source ati drive with multiple monitors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed open source ati drive with multiple monitors.

3 monitors with res: 2560x1440 X2 and 1920x1200
    Video card: HD6850

I used the same xorg.conf file that worked for the fglrx driver. Replace fglrx with radeon.

I get the flowing error
    [331797.662] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
    [331797.662] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
    [331797.662] (II) GPU only supported with KMS, using vesa instead.
    [331797.662] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
    [331797.662] (II) Unloading radeon
    [331797.662] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    [331797.662]
    Fatal server error:
    [331797.662] no screens found
    I actually do not understand the error and what is causing it. Any idea, Also how to fix it. I am new to ATI cards. What does KMS mean
    Thanks

Originally posted by odror View Post
    I actually do not understand the error and what is causing it. Any idea, Also how to fix it. I am new to ATI cards. What does KMS mean
    Thanks
    KMS is Kernel Modesetting, ie programming the display hardware in the kernel driver (which comes up early in the boot sequence) rather than the X driver (which comes up relatively late and which takes turns owning hardware with the console driver).

Using the same xorg.conf with the open source and Catalyst drivers is not a good idea -- for the open source driver you should start with either *no* xorg.conf or a largely empty xorg.conf.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      KMS is Kernel Modesetting, ie programming the display hardware in the kernel driver (which comes up early in the boot sequence) rather than the X driver (which comes up relatively late and which takes turns owning hardware with the console driver).

Using the same xorg.conf with the open source and Catalyst drivers is not a good idea -- for the open source driver you should start with either *no* xorg.conf or a largely empty xorg.conf.
      When I do not use xorg the driver does not detect the correct resolution of all three monitors. It also clones 2 of the monitors and blank the display on the third. I wanted to modify the fglrx xorg.conf so that I can force the monitor resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by odror View Post
        When I do not use xorg the driver does not detect the correct resolution of all three monitors. It also clones 2 of the monitors and blank the display on the third. I wanted to modify the fglrx xorg.conf so that I can force the monitor resolution.
        Try a KDE LiveCD. Whatever, Fedora, Chakra or Bridge Linux... Just make sure it is KDE (personally, I suggest to choose the last one - being simply a preconfigured Arch, it has access to fantastic resources in the Arch Users Repository). Go to system settings, in favourites by default. Or systemsettings in terminal. Or Alt+F2 and write systemsettings. It's up to you. There, find "hardware" section, in it (I don't remember the proper english name) find the button to display management. It has an icon which shows a monitor. Click it. There you have all the options to modify displays you can dream of. Just forget all the GNOME mess, what they (GNOME and Ubuntu folks) have done is worse than breakage introduced by QT 4 and KDE 4. If you like it, I can suggest you a set of changes to make your desktop look really good. Fancy, yet cool and simple.
        Last edited by Hirager; 13 May 2012, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Or simply start krandrtray and you have all the options only one click away

Comment

Check your dmesg output and see why the kernel driver failed to load.

Comment

I rebbooted and the dirver loaded . Restarting X was not enough. The problem is that the driver had difficuties supporing my displays. The windows are "unstable" in patricular chrome has noise with streaky lines. I think that I am going back to fgrx. For my hardware the software is not matur enough. It is unfortunate, because when it comes to video playing it seems better than the fgrx driver.

Comment

Working...
              X