No announcement yet.

DMA-BUF PRIME Coming Together For Linux 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also CrossFire is only useful for gaming... compute operations do not require it (although Catalyst is still a better choice for compute) and most people will not need CrossFire for linux gaming.

Comment

Is it still EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL?

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Does this mean Optimus support could land in Ubuntu 12.10 (I don't expect it in the "official" distribution, but with xorg-edgers, or any state of the art X server, kernel, and drivers repository)?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          What else need to be done to support Optimus and PowerXpress in Mesa drivers? At least at the same level like in Catalyst (with Xorg Server restart).
          Nothing really on the mesa side. There are basically two things needed. Define a way for kernel drivers to share buffers (DMA BUF), and fix X to allow decoupled display and rendering (Dave's X server work).

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
          Any chance for MUXless notebooks? Still hope...
          That is one of the main goals of this work. Other goals include support for acceleration on non-accelerated devices like USB displays using the GPU and zero copy buffer sharing between subsystems (e.g., V4L and KMS).

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
          But AFAIK there is no documentation published about Crossfire. And since there is many use cases (different Crossfire generations and 2, 3 or 4 GPU configuration), I guess this is a huge task!
          There is nothing really secret about crossfire or any additional magic bits that need to be documented. It's mostly all done in the driver with software. The driver just has to add the necessary infrastructure to proper split jobs between multiple GPUs. You are correct that that is a big job however.

Comment

Originally posted by Nepenthes View Post
            Does this mean Optimus support could land in Ubuntu 12.10 (I don't expect it in the "official" distribution, but with xorg-edgers, or any state of the art X server, kernel, and drivers repository)?
            Judging by current progress, I'd say yes.

Kernel: Landing in 3.5
            Xserver: Might land for 1.13, but likely Edgers
            Intel DDX: Edgers eventually
            Nouveau DDX: Edgers eventually
            Mesa and glproto: Unknown if needed

Comment

If Bumblebee team needs testers, use case reports, bug reports or anything else during Ubuntu 12.10 alpha and beta, I'm in.
              I know your project shares the same goal as PRIME, but the current backend is a hack, and if you replace VGL with PRIME, I'll be really interested in following the developement and testing. I can't code, but I'm experienced with basic debugging tools, so I think I could give a hand with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nepenthes View Post
                If Bumblebee team needs testers, use case reports, bug reports or anything else during Ubuntu 12.10 alpha and beta, I'm in.
                I know your project shares the same goal as PRIME, but the current backend is a hack, and if you replace VGL with PRIME, I'll be really interested in following the developement and testing. I can't code, but I'm experienced with basic debugging tools, so I think I could give a hand with that.
                In other words, this is just yet another hopeful disgusting lie to appease the peasants. !
                omfg, it really never ends, does it ?.
                Here's what it is dude.
                M$ has enough money to even buy the most stalwart tree-huggin' Linux dev(s)/programmer(s), even you, even if you're NOT a tree-jerker, who cares abyway right ?
                So why are you being the worser fo those evils by pretending that maybe there is a chance that Corporations are Comsumer-tree-huggers too ?
                Why are you, and your stoopid articles being the cruelst false-hope derivitive.
                We start a petition and then we die under it, knowing no one gives a crap. That would save all these so-called authors a lot of wasted energy ?.
                But hey, I'll clear it all up for you ALL.
                If I PAY for an nvidia/ATI GPU then i want to use it, whenever I want. forever I want !!!
                Thats all those lying-greedy-corporate popsicle-suckers need to know. Anything else is just illegally "stealing" from the Consumer.
                allrighty then.

Comment

When you buy a video card, you ARE free to use it as you like. Feel free to stab your wrists with it or cook on it.

Comment

Good news, very nice work David Arlie and Alex Deucher! I hope to see it soon, I can't wait

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                    We clearly need to clone Dave and Alex a couple of times each and then we'd have the linux graphics stack done in a whiff.
                    HAHA

Comment

Working...
                    X