Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMA-BUF PRIME Coming Together For Linux 3.5

Default DMA-BUF PRIME Coming Together For Linux 3.5

Phoronix: DMA-BUF PRIME Coming Together For Linux 3.5

The DMA-BUF PRIME support in the popular open-source Linux graphics drivers is coming together for the Linux 3.5 kernel to allow for GPU offloaded rendering...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwMjA

We clearly need to clone Dave and Alex a couple of times each and then we'd have the linux graphics stack done in a whiff.

What else need to be done to support Optimus and PowerXpress in Mesa drivers? At least at the same level like in Catalyst (with Xorg Server restart).

I am actually waiting for CrossFire. I guess it's still long ways off.

Question

Any chance for MUXless notebooks? Still hope...

i think i rememeber these guys saying the biggest barier was actualy X. X has no notion of changing outputs. you cant take this X server runnign on this display and tell it to swap over to this other display as of right now. from what everyone was kinda saying, it would be extreamly intusive to the graphics portion (the largest) of Xorg to get this kind of support.

however. wayland is suspose to have display switching support. so this might be a major motivation to move to a X running in wayland environment.

get ready for a bumpy ride for the next year and a half. i recomend a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
    I am actually waiting for CrossFire. I guess it's still long ways off.
    lol you can wait a long time

Question

Quote Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
    lol you can wait a long time
    Why? Is there some reason to think that it will take long time?

Quote Originally Posted by dogsleg View Post
    Any chance for MUXless notebooks? Still hope...
    This is for muxless notebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin545 View Post
    i think i rememeber these guys saying the biggest barier was actualy X. X has no notion of changing outputs. you cant take this X server runnign on this display and tell it to swap over to this other display as of right now. from what everyone was kinda saying, it would be extreamly intusive to the graphics portion (the largest) of Xorg to get this kind of support.

however. wayland is suspose to have display switching support. so this might be a major motivation to move to a X running in wayland environment.

get ready for a bumpy ride for the next year and a half. i recomend a helmet.
    The X work is almost done.

Server: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied.../?h=drvmodelv3
    Intel DDX: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied.../?h=drvmodelv3
    Nouveau DDX: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied.../?h=drvmodelv3
    Last edited by LLStarks; 05-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedanfor View Post
    Why? Is there some reason to think that it will take long time?
    Because Crossfire is a useless technology in most cases and there are tasks very more useful to finish before (Power-management, OpenGL implementation, performance[*], OpenCL, Video decoding, 100% piglit match, etc.).

I don't think people hired by AMD, Red Hat, VmWare or Intel will work one day on multicard support. Perhaps a independant developer will do it, who knows. But AFAIK there is no documentation published about Crossfire. And since there is many use cases (different Crossfire generations and 2, 3 or 4 GPU configuration), I guess this is a huge task!

[*] Currently the free 3D drivers are much slower than the proprietary ones, so perhaps when the drivers for mono-card's configuration will be on par with proprietary ones, there will be an interest in multicard's support.