Ubuntu Developers Discuss Using Mono AOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Instead of "Math", picture "OverlyLongClassNameJustBecauseWeLikeThem". You see why it's bad?
    using M = MyCrazyNameSpace.With.Lots.OfHierarchy.OverlyLongC lassNameJustBecauseWeLikeThemWhichHasPiDefined;

Console.WriteLine(M.PI);

Edit:
    I don't see why long names are bad. Everyone I know that writes C, C++, C#, Java, Python, ... programs larger than "Hello World" is using an IDE with code completion. Long descriptive names help reading the code.

Edit2:
    For the checkbox problem you mentioned you could have had it easy if you created a checkbox array in the first place in the form. And if you need unique checkbox identifier you could have used the "Tag" property to store an unique identifier (string). Finding a checkbox by name would have been an easy task: var myIdCheckbox = checkboxArray.Find(cb => "MyId" == (string)cb.Tag);
    Last edited by droste; 12 May 2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Someone should port the Java Class Library to C#.
      Someone already has: http://www.ikvm.net/

Comment

All this Mono vs. Java/C/whatever talk is irrelevant. It is fine for Ubuntu to offer Mono apps as an option, but they should not be in the default install, especially if Ubuntu continues to constrain itself to a CD-sized install .iso.

Comment

Mono is full open source under MIT, LGPL, GPL.

C# is a Ecma standard, ECMA-334.
          None of this is the problem, it is the non-free .NET classes such as ASP.NET, ADO.NET and Winforms that are implemented in Mono that are the problem.

Get rid of Mono, nuke it from orbit, it is the only way to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
            using M = MyCrazyNameSpace.With.Lots.OfHierarchy.OverlyLongC lassNameJustBecauseWeLikeThemWhichHasPiDefined;

Console.WriteLine(M.PI);
            That's the third overload of "using" in just this thread, none having anything to do with the others. Did I mention I find C#'s "using" illogical?

Edit:
            I don't see why long names are bad. Everyone I know that writes C, C++, C#, Java, Python, ... programs larger than "Hello World" is using an IDE with code completion. Long descriptive names help reading the code.
            Too long names hinder reading too. If just your hierarchy and class name takes a line entirely by itself, it's hardly an optimal reading experience.

Also, if you requre autocompletion (not to mention IDE!) to code, then your language and/or project is broken. It's an ugly misfeature working around a deficiency in design, mainly too long and ugly naming.

Edit2:
            For the checkbox problem you mentioned you could have had it easy if you created a checkbox array in the first place in the form. And if you need unique checkbox identifier you could have used the "Tag" property to store an unique identifier (string). Finding a checkbox by name would have been an easy task: var myIdCheckbox = checkboxArray.Find(cb => "MyId" == (string)cb.Tag);
            In my opinion that is still a kludge, just as much as the Dictionary. The checkboxes already had names, why should I be required to assign each 500 of them a new property.

Comment

That's the third overload of "using" in just this thread, none having anything to do with the others. Did I mention I find C#'s "using" illogical?
              Only your opinion...

Too long names hinder reading too. If just your hierarchy and class name takes a line entirely by itself, it's hardly an optimal reading experience.
              Nobody is using the full class name (with namespace hierarchy) inside the actual code. That is what using is for...

Also, if you requre autocompletion (not to mention IDE!) to code, then your language and/or project is broken. It's an ugly misfeature working around a deficiency in design, mainly too long and ugly naming.
              Nobody is forcing you to use an IDE. It is perfectly working without... I was just saying everybody _is_ using one.

In my opinion that is still a kludge, just as much as the Dictionary. The checkboxes already had names, why should I be required to assign each 500 of them a new property.
              Again, if you only needed say the 400th checkbox an array would be enough: checkboxArray[400-1];
              Also if the name is unique enough for you don't need to set the Tag property. checkboxArray.Find(cb => "MyCb" == cb.Name); works too

So all in all you don't like C# out of not knowing how to handle things in C#. That's ok. You've done much c++ and like it. You know libraries and how to use the language. Fine. But that doesn't mean c++ is the holy grail of programming languages and C# is shit.

Comment

So all in all you don't like C# out of not knowing how to handle things in C#.
                I disagree. I've been pointed out the "right way" by people more experienced in it such as yourself, and even the "right way" was not that good.

Comment

I disagree. I've been pointed out the "right way" by people more experienced in it such as yourself, and even the "right way" was not that good.
                  Also your standard of "good". I find them very good.

Edit:
                  Except WinForms... there's really no good thing in WinForms ;-) but that has nothing to do with C#

Comment

As I understand it, C# is faster than Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP, etc.
                    C# is lot easier and friendlier to code in than C, C++, Objective-C.
                    C# is a language. The following parody demonstrates the error in the poster's logic.

As I understand it, Spanish is faster than English, German, Russian, etc.
                    Spanish is a lot easier and friendlier to speak than Greek, Chinese, and Arabic.

People speak the language that they, and/or their audience, are most familiar with. For languages that use an IR/VM, the language is only as fast as the interpreter/translator.

F

Comment

First of all, that's illogical by itself in a language that shouts loudly "no you don't need to mind memory with me".
                      Don't need to manage memory, yes. The same isn't true of other resources - e.g you can't open database connections at will and throw them away, relying on garbage collection to close them before the database server starts complaining.

Comment

Working...
                      X