Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87

Thread: PulseAudio 2.0 Runs On HURD, Has Jack Detection

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewi View Post
    What do you mean by "true" surround sound? It worked out of the box here.
    I mean that I have an audio stream with 6 Channels and each Channel is being played on exactly the correct speaker. I always had some weird mixing going on but maybe this has gotten better now, since last time I used a surround system is some time ago.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    341

    Default

    PA plays 6 channels with no problem.

    if your audio is like 2.0 it multiple signal to 2 stereo [copy]

    i dont need to use subbass [normal 2x 2.0 cabinets with large speakers 8"]

    imo subwoofer is peace of shit compared to large woofers in normal speakers

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default PulseAudio still is a crap

    I've tried using this on a fresh 12.04 LTS and it is still a crap. Everytime my CPU would get into 100% usage and memory was low I had a huge gaps in sound playback (going as high as 3 seconds). That's just unacceptable so I just purge it and ALSA also. Those were replaced with OSSv4 which doesn't have such huge problems. Unfortunately even with that there are sometimes stream interruptions but nowhere as bad as PulseAudio (only in extreme situations).

    There was a news on Phoronix that Chrome/Chromium will have PulseAudio support gues what it won't have it because there is no one to work on it so it's only ALSA. I've tried two games through NaCl Bastion and From Dust both were horrible in regards to sound output when I had PulseAudio and they are good on Open Sound System with ALSA emulation.

    Look at the last comment in this bug report: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...wner%20Summary

    Look at comments 48, 49 and 50: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...wner%20Summary

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    There was a news on Phoronix that Chrome/Chromium will have PulseAudio support gues what it won't have it because there is no one to work on it so it's only ALSA. I've tried two games through NaCl Bastion and From Dust both were horrible in regards to sound output when I had PulseAudio and they are good on Open Sound System with ALSA emulation.
    PulseAudio is the best thing happened to Linux regarding sound.

    What would you rather have, everyone using ALSA or OSS and only having one sound application able to run at once? That is clearly unprofessional.

    Most whiners about PulseAudio are those that have badly setup operating systems or messy settings. You do need to force all your applications to use PulseAudio instead of ALSA, and those that don't give you the option, then uninstall those. You do need to configure PulseAudio too, and that means setting channels and volumes.

    What I would like more power in is PulseAudio virtual channels. Coders need to give users options to allow for better mixing of channels.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    alternate sample rates
    What is this and why should I care? What is it good for?

    jack detection
    This means if you plug in your headphones then audio stops coming from the speakers and start coming from the headphones.
    If you unplug your headphones, then audio resumes from the speakers.

    echo cancellation
    This means you can record better with a microphone, and it will cancel the echo.

    virtual surround module
    What is this and why should I care? What is it good for?

    Xen para-virtualized audio-sink
    What is this and why should I care? What is it good for?

    fixed HURD support
    This means PulseAudio now supports the GNU Hurd operating system kernel.

    A2DP decoder quality improvements
    This means something about Bluetooth improved.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    What would you rather have, everyone using ALSA or OSS and only having one sound application able to run at once? That is clearly unprofessional.

    Most whiners about PulseAudio are those that have badly setup operating systems or messy settings. You do need to force all your applications to use PulseAudio instead of ALSA, and those that don't give you the option, then uninstall those. You do need to configure PulseAudio too, and that means setting channels and volumes.
    You do realise that OSSv4 can play sound from multiple programs simultaneously and has per app volume control. Configuration of programs won't change any of the problems I've mentioned.

    Wine is another aspect of where PulseAudio just plain obviously suck. I've used the packages from Wine Ubuntu PPA and in winecfg it appeared as winepulse is in use (and winepulse.drv is installed).

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    How did you accomplish this? By that I mean are you routing ALL your audio from your machine, (system sounds, games, browser, etc...) through VLC? It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more.
    It's not that hard. It's one of the basic features of KDE’s Phonon. Phonon is just a simple API wrapper for playback engines (not a sound server as some people mistake Phonon to be). All system sounds, music or videos are played through that.
    Obviously I have the option to stack as many layers as I want. I could use PA. I could also use GStreamer, then additionally stack additional GStreamer plugins to get basic media playback

    As for the browser, I use Firefox with the ViewTube Greasemonkey script which can use VLC’s Mozilla plugin for YouTube and other video sites (or any other plugin – mplayer or whatever one likes…).

    Games: I don't play games on Linux. I have my gaming consoles for that.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    You do realise that OSSv4 can play sound from multiple programs simultaneously and has per app volume control. Configuration of programs won't change any of the problems I've mentioned.
    What, is this a modern feature? Is OSS's need for kernel OSS drivers a problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    Wine is another aspect of where PulseAudio just plain obviously suck. I've used the packages from Wine Ubuntu PPA and in winecfg it appeared as winepulse is in use (and winepulse.drv is installed).
    Yeah that's one gripe I do have, but that's Wine's fault. They dropped PulseAudio support and reverted back to ALSA. Like you alude to, you can get a build from Launchpad.net for a PA enabled version.

    In my opinion, the ultimate user goal/wants should be:
    * multiple applications playing sound at once
    * channel mixing, example recording and playing from different channels, or merged ones
    * sound sync'ed properly
    * speed of sound layer
    * codec integration
    * hardware use priority
    * Coders supporting PA for OS and applications, giving power to the users. Example, I'm yet to see virtual channel manipulation in Ubuntu/Kubuntu sound panels or sound recording software.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 05-12-2012 at 09:54 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    What, is this a modern feature? Is OSS's need for kernel OSS drivers a problem?
    I think you are confusing OSSv3 which has been disabled or removed from Linux Kernel with OSSv4 which builds modules with DKMS.

    Wine developers never wanted to have PulseAudio. They only consider ALSA and OSS. Winepulse is being worked on by Maarten Lankhorst http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    I think you are confusing OSSv3 which has been disabled or removed from Linux Kernel with OSSv4 which builds modules with DKMS.

    Wine developers never wanted to have PulseAudio. They only consider ALSA and OSS. Winepulse is being worked on by Maarten Lankhorst http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git
    OK. My Wine locks onto ALSA using a winealsa.drv, other words I no longer get an option to select OSS.

    Why is PulseAudio chosen over OSS for Ubuntu-Kubuntu?

    What is the PulseAudio vs OSS4 difference?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •