PulseAudio 2.0 Runs On HURD, Has Jack Detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I'm willing to revisit PulseAudio if it one day does live up to the hype. So far, though, it offers nothing of value to me (ALSA has worked flawlessly for me for at least 8 years), and with its history, I'm willing to wait a couple of years. ESD and aRts have left scars.
    But you maybe a one task user, where most today are multitaskers. Not trying to be offensive!

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      But you maybe a one task user, where most today are multitaskers. Not trying to be offensive!
      So you are listening music and watching film at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
        So you listening music and watching film at the same time?
        Well for example I may have Amarok in pause mode while Me-TV(dvb-tv-card viewer) is going, while editing a video in Avidemux, while maybe having an instant messenger in the tray(even though I've uninstall skype now due to Microsoft ownership). In a ALSA only scenario, the sound would break trying to have two apps vying for the hardware. Also consider OS sound-events on top... and you have a nightmare if you can't multi address sound.
        Last edited by e8hffff; 12 May 2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

If your kernel is Linux.
          Then Linux users don't care about that crap, because we have working ALSA and PA.

Comment

So you are listening music and watching film at the same time?
            I'm playing games and listen to Amarok same time. It wasn't possible with OSSv4 last time I tried.

Comment

Well for example I may have Amarok in pause mode while Me-TV(dvb-tv-card viewer) is going, while editing a video in Avidemux, while maybe having an instant messenger in the tray(even though I've uninstall skype now due to Microsoft ownership). In a ALSA only scenario, the sound would break trying to have two apps vying for the hardware. Also consider OS sound-events on top... and you have a nightmare if you can't multi address sound.
              I'm using ALSA only and I can play two things at the same time. I didn't even notice that before.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Then Linux users don't care about that crap, because we have working ALSA and PA.
                Seems like Linux users don't care about anything, but Linux.
                I have many problems with ALSA.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  I'm playing games and listen to Amarok same time. It wasn't possible with OSSv4 last time I tried.
                  Funny, OSSv4 has sound mixing built-in.
                  About two years ago, I wrote an article titled the " The Sorry State of Sound in Linux ", hoping to get some sound issues in Linux fixed. No...

Comment

I'm using ALSA only and I can play two things at the same time. I didn't even notice that before.
                    I find that hard to believe. Do a test now with separate applications using ALSA...With no OpenAL/PulseAudio/OSS installed!

Comment

I find that hard to believe. Do a test now with separate applications using ALSA...With no OpenAL/PulseAudio/OSS installed!
                      Of course with ALSA you can play multiple sources at a time. You just can't mix them other than going into the individual applications and adjust volumes there (or using some dmix hacks I guess).

Comment

Working...
                      X