Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 2007 Year In Review

Phoronix: AMD 2007 Year In Review

At the end of our ATI Year in Review for 2006, we had stated, "next year will be a very interesting time for ATI/AMD Linux users." Looking back upon that statement, it has certainly turned out to be true, but perhaps an understatement for all of the AMD Linux work that has actually went on this year. The Catalyst Control Center was finally ported to Linux; there is now AIGLX support for use with Compiz, and the most substantial improvement being a brand new code-base for their proprietary Linux driver. Aside from their binary driver, they have developed a strong interest in better enabling the open-source community through releasing GPU documentation to the public (without NDAs!) and collaborating with Novell on the development of the RadeonHD driver. It has been one hell of a year for AMD, and in this article, we are going to look back at their twelve major driver releases from the year as well as re-benchmark all of these different versions.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

let's hope they do a better this year. personally, i'd rather see 8.35 getting maintenance through the rest of 2007, instead of what we got - that was the best driver release for me.

edit : why is there a "hole" on the last page in benchmarks, on drivers 8.38-8.40 ? i mean the bars are way low. wth?
    Last edited by yoshi314; 26 December 2007, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      edit : why is there a "hole" on the last page in benchmarks, on drivers 8.38-8.40 ? i mean the bars are way low. wth?
      From the article:

With the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars benchmark, from the 8.38.6 to 8.40.4, the fglrx driver had exhibited stability issues with this new OpenGL game, which had prevented us from reporting our frame-rate results for three of the drivers.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

More interesting would be how many drivers can show test 3 and 4 of gl2benchmark. All with new codebase fail... I hoped after first release that somebody would fix this issue, but nobody cared.

Comment

Despite the performance side, is there any benchmark of how pervasive this driver is.
          Support of xrandr 1.2 ?
          Easy of use of the tv output ?
          Support for video output on second screen ?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: AMD 2007 Year In Review
            there is now AIGLX support for use with Compiz
            http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11616
            there is no.
            You can't call this "support" until it is not working properly.

Comment

You can't call this "support" until it is not working properly.
              and you can't call it a driver until the hardware actually starts working :]

Comment

I'm happy with radeonhd so far.

fglrx can go back to hell

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  let's hope they do a better this year.
                  That'd be a polite way of putting it.

I'd consider buying another AMD (CPU or graphics) product after their Linux driver performance reaches the level of Nvidia (on my HD2600 vs FX5200) for HDTV. That is a 3-4 year old benchmark now.
                  Last edited by Nexus7; 28 December 2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X