Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Talks About Gaming At UDS: It's Boring

Phoronix: EA Talks About Gaming At UDS: It's Boring

An Electronic Arts representative just finished talking at the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Oakland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad

Too bad, they should open soure more decade(s) old games.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Too bad, they should open soure more decade(s) old games.
      Fully agree.

If the sources are still available - why not open up the Dungeon Keeper (1+2) engine, for instance?
      I bet the engines would get ported to Linux in no time AND they would even sell some of these old games.

Michael: Would it be possible for you to ask this guy what is really holding them up from doing this?
      I saw the stream and the EA representative actually said that he would like to see more "legacy" code being
      open sourced by his company. Honestly, if they would open up the DK engines for a start (not the assets, ofc),
      this would surely give them a tremendous positive feedback AND press coverage. No doubt about this!
      Last edited by entropy; 09 May 2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

EA's 14 games

Could anyone tell me which 14 games those are? This just sounds like a hand-waving argument regarding their support. It couldn't be Mass Effect or any of their Medal of Honor games, because those didn't come to WINE; WINE came to them. And that was after an ass-ton of work.

And MoH still ran like shit the last time I tried it.

I guess "Challenge Everything" applies to truth, logic, and respectability.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          I guess "Challenge Everything" applies to truth, logic, and respectability.
          I have to admit, I lol'd.

Comment

They say they're a platform agnostic company.
            Indeed, they make games for both Consoles and PCs.

They also like both kinds of music.... Country and Western.

Rawhide!

F

Comment

You guys sure aren't being welcoming. More like uncivilized baboons shouting profanities...

Comment

Still glad EA are at least paying some attention to Ubuntu. But as we're seeing from many of the responses, many people, even Windows gamers, don't trust EA. They're done a lot of previous damage in that sense unfortunately.

Comment

tell me more about that "parts of sims 1" source code.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    You guys sure aren't being welcoming. More like uncivilized baboons shouting profanities...
                    Couldn't happen to a more deserving publisher. They tried to make 7 day work weeks mandatory for all employees and they reclassified people's job descriptions (illegally) to avoid paying overtime.

Activison is just as bad, but they aren't talking about Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X