Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Grows Ambitious Wayland Plans

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Grows Ambitious Wayland Plans

A meeting at the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Oakland just ended concerning a Wayland-based system compositor for Ubuntu 12.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they want to simplify it, there's no reason at all to support a non-KMS path. If the blob drivers don't work, the blob driver makers will just have to adapt (or even better... die).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      the blob driver makers will just have to adapt (or even better... die).
      noh I really hope NVIDIA will just support KMS. I need the binary drivers for rendering... I really need them...

Comment

It would be great if the path to fully OSS drivers was simply breaking down blobs, and slowly replacing proprietary bits with OSS ones... or at least something closed to this, such as incorporating binary bits onto gallium drivers in order to complement missing functionality, such as PM, UVD, etc...

Comment

how difficult it is for amd and nvidia to implement OpenWf which afaik its similar to KMS and wayland already supports it??

bridgman???

Comment

/me just uses directfb

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
              I hope the blob drivers will fuck off and die too.
              Haha, the only thing which will die is Wayland if ATI or NVidia refuse to support it with their binary blobs.

Comment

Indeed, this sounds like vaporware since Wayland v. 0.90, 0.95 and 1.0 have yet to be released, hence don't expect v1.0 this Summer, rather by December at best.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  If they want to simplify it, there's no reason at all to support a non-KMS path. If the blob drivers don't work, the blob driver makers will just have to adapt (or even better... die).
                  LOL! And what of the massive number of people running NVIDIA cards? They're suddenly SOL? The world isn't all on AMD and Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                    LOL! And what of the massive number of people running NVIDIA cards? They're suddenly SOL? The world isn't all on AMD and Intel.
                    For them, there is nouveau which works fine enough for compositing and basic 3d.

People who insist on unsupported 3rd party binary modules will have to continue jumping through hoops, like they are doing now.

Comment

Working...
                    X