Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC vs. LLVM/Clang Compilers On ARMv7 Linux

Phoronix: GCC vs. LLVM/Clang Compilers On ARMv7 Linux

While comparing compiler performance of different Linux code compilers on different software stacks and hardware configurations is nothing new at all to Phoronix, usually it's done on x86 hardware. However, with ARM hardware becoming increasingly common and much more powerful, here's a comparison of the GCC and LLVM/Clang compilers on a dual-core ARM development board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Testsuite is bogus as usual

The test results are completely bogus. Most of tests are compiled w/o any optimizations at all. What's the point of comparing the unoptimized binaries?

The only "good" test is N-Queens, which is compiled with -O3. Everything else is compiled effectively with -O0.
    C-Ray is bogus as well, because clang does not support -march=native and thus yields slow armv4 code in this case.

Comment

C-Ray is bogus as well, because clang does not support -march=native and thus yields slow armv4 code in this case.
      That's a deficiency in clang then, I don't know about Michael but I wouldn't want to hard-code a marketing name-to-mcpu switch for-every-compiler table.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        That's a deficiency in clang then, I don't know about Michael but I wouldn't want to hard-code a marketing name-to-mcpu switch for-every-compiler table.
        Yes, surely. But much bigger problem is comparison of unoptimized binaries in the benchmark

Comment

Working...
        X