A Look At Why Linux Graphics Drivers Have Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    Honestly i really don't care about 3D on a pre OGL 2.1 card. But KMS and possibly some 2D would be nice.
    Not a chance. If you look at the source, the i810 driver is in a folder called "legacy". It will not be getting any new features. Which means you get basic modesetting and Xv. That's it. Though it would be fun to know if 3D still works, for things like UT99

Comment

Well I could write and maintain a KMS driver for it :-)

Comment

graph

This is a development workflow graph, it's not a metric and should not be used to compare quality between drivers. There are several parameters used for generating this graph which make it completely irrelevant for drawing any conclusions about anything you end users care about.

To the questions about the color palette, it is auto generated.

To the questions about 8xx; those chips are partly supported upstream but are not supported in Ubuntu thus no bugs in those architectures pertain to data shown in this graph.

Comment

I have better idea

Why all those dudes of Xorg and nuveaou and others combine their effort to actually support nvidia and amd properly without intel. So that we can have completely tearing free desktops and completely tearing free video playback with real sync to vblank. None of the drivers from nvidia or amd provide tearing free desktops and completely tearing free video playback so the whole discussion of dma buffer or other switching is completely pointless as none of those companies provide any working linux drivers whatsover. So switching between one non working shit and another non working shit is not an issue. The issue is a LACK of tearing free desktops and LACK of completely tearing free video playback and LACK of real sync to vblank in any configuration. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnXfce View Post
            Why all those dudes of Xorg and nuveaou and others combine their effort to actually support nvidia and amd properly without intel. So that we can have completely tearing free desktops and completely tearing free video playback with real sync to vblank. None of the drivers from nvidia or amd provide tearing free desktops and completely tearing free video playback so the whole discussion of dma buffer or other switching is completely pointless as none of those companies provide any working linux drivers whatsover. So switching between one non working shit and another non working shit is not an issue. The issue is a LACK of tearing free desktops and LACK of completely tearing free video playback and LACK of real sync to vblank in any configuration. Period.
            You are aware Intel has own engineers on its linux drivers?! Period. You are also aware, that Intel works good in Linux?! For example, I have pentium 4 IGP for media center and my relatives have sandybridge 2105 - both working perfectly on opensource drivers. Instead of shitting here, go work and donate money/hardware to them. How about that? Or you start trolling again how bad things are NOT?

Comment

donate Intel hardware to Intel engineers?

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              You are aware Intel has own engineers on its linux drivers?! Period. You are also aware, that Intel works good in Linux?! For example, I have pentium 4 IGP for media center and my relatives have sandybridge 2105 - both working perfectly on opensource drivers. Instead of shitting here, go work and donate money/hardware to them. How about that? Or you start trolling again how bad things are NOT?
              So, now we have to donate Intel hardware to Intel engineers?

Comment

Working...
              X