EA Begins Their (Sad) Ubuntu Game Push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    I don't really care what games they try to "push." I like to think about it this way: They are now actually paying attention to Linux, even if only a little. It's more attention than they used to pay.
    They're not really paying attention to linux. Its gorram javascript and flash. You basically can't prevent it from working on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
      They're not really paying attention to linux. Its gorram javascript and flash. You basically can't prevent it from working on linux.
      Technology != marketing

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        Hey, that's not a bad idea. Time to install Ubuntu.
        Runs just fine in VMWare Fusion (or Workstation). 3D even works, though not to the level required for competitive gaming. Recreational gamers should be OK though. Go for it. I keep a VMWare Ubuntu image for work that I'll check the installers on.

Comment

I wasn't thinking AAA games but maybe something along the lines as the Shank series which is included in an EA indie bundle (!?!?) on Steam. So EA seems to have rights to some games which have a native Linux client. The browser games mentioned is a bit of a let down but lets see what happens.

Comment

Don't diss it...

They worked with Ubuntu/Canonocal enough to get it featured in the software center, which shows they have an interest in attempting to get something done THE RIGHT WAY with a major linux distro. So what if it isn't a big AAA title. It's a hell of a lot more than you've ever gotten before. How about you be thankful you got anything, and encourage more in the future. They probably just want to see if anyone in linux-land really will play a game if it's given to them in the correct manner (software center), and how many new people that will pull to an otherwise un-noticed title.

How bout you "install" the game, to show support for the (possible) trend, stop complaining about not getting everything you wanted with a bow on it, and help encourage the adoption of linux as a platform, instead of drive EA away with negative responces to a decent gesture.

Comment

I'm not surprised

EA is, at least as far as their 1st party development (and the business side thereof) goes, a very large, heavy, monolithic beast. As such, any however minor change in direction normally requires herculean efforts. I'm positively surprised that they are in talks with Canonical *at all*, and that's testament to the exposure Linux as a whole has been gaining. It's no surprise, considering how risk averse EA traditionally is (trust me on this one), that they're leaving leading the charge up to a company like Valve, who is more flexible in their development and business methodologies, and not answerable to shareholders, and shareholders only.

I agree with the sentiment that it's a start. That gamers like us aren't interested in the couple of games they've released, they don't care about - they don't see it that way. Their publishing side doesn't consist of gamers. To their publishing and marketing side, a product is a product, and releasing these two is, for them, an almost completely risk-free way to get an indicator to gauge interest and possible future market numbers, and to get a presence in the market in case the whole Valve thing becomes a runaway success (in which case you can bet your arse that they'll trip all over each other to get on the dance floor, now that they've been invited to the party).
              Now go install the two thingies from the software center. Then wait and see and quit banging your head against the wall about why they did and didn't do what. It's a much less stressful way to live

Comment

C&C

They should port and release original C&C or C&C Red Alert as open source or atleast for free. It's not like they are generating any revenues and stuff. THAT would give them fans and invaluable goodwill. I don't think it would be hard since a single individual has already begun porting it to HTML5. http://www.adityaravishankar.com/pro...d-and-conquer/

Long time C&C fan despite EAs efforts to destroy what little is left of it. I registerd to say this and i hope EA sees it and considers it.

But i doubt that will ever happen.

Comment

Getting feet wet

Well, its not much but at least they're engaging and dipping their feet into the water.

That's good. Hopefully they continue with more and more releases and better games.

Comment

They are just treading water. These two web-based games have been playable for months (the tibsun is quite bad tbf )
                    Let them get a presences in the stall and known they are looking into linux.

They prob have some title to announce (prob not some AAA title, but a reasonable title for EA...) but due to other issues it missed their self-imposed deadline of this conference. I would give them a few months. sometimes engineering can be a right bitch

Comment

Yes it's technically a sad news story, but they haven't had their talk yet. I still think we're in for an okay game. I'd welcome Plants vs. Zombies. It's popular enough that it's something that's somewhat decent.

But really, complaining gets us nowhere. We have to show support for these titles in order for EA to even consider putting big money into porting over AAA titles. I still have mixed feelings about EA, but at least they are going to come out and officially say something, unlike another game company atm. (No videos, no quotes, no nothing)

Comment

Working...
                      X