Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.4-rc6: The Final Linux 3.4 Kernel Is In Sight

Phoronix: Linux 3.4-rc6: The Final Linux 3.4 Kernel Is In Sight

Linus Torvalds released the Linux 3.4-rc6 kernel on Sunday and signalled that the final release of the Linux 3.4 kernel is in sight...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i've only been a linux user for nearly 5 years, and a phoronix reader for maybe 2, but is it common for the kernel to have this many commits for almost every release? i don't remember kernel updates being this hectic, which to me is a good thing because that means linux is starting to advance really quickly and there are more people/companies putting in a lot more effort. i'm starting to think linus is going to either need more help or add more RCs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      i'm starting to think linus is going to either need more help or add more RCs.
      he has a bunch of people that help him and review the code that is committed. and the whole thing seems to be working quite fine.

as for the kernel getting big and stuff like that is up to the main kernel devs to find a solution to that. they know their stuff so nothing to worry about.

Comment

I have kernel 3.3.4 but seem that ASPM problem is still here, it's normal that output?

Code:
        [fabio@hp6735b ~]$ uname -r
        3.3.4-2-ARCH
        [fabio@hp6735b ~]$ dmesg | grep ASPM
        [    0.267402] ACPI _OSC control for PCIe not granted, disabling ASPM
        [fabio@hp6735b ~]$

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
          I have kernel 3.3.4 but seem that ASPM problem is still here, it's normal that output?

Code:
          [fabio@hp6735b ~]$ uname -r
          3.3.4-2-ARCH
          [fabio@hp6735b ~]$ dmesg | grep ASPM
          [    0.267402] ACPI _OSC control for PCIe not granted, disabling ASPM
          [fabio@hp6735b ~]$
          The problem is your BIOS, that tells Linux not to play with ASPM. You can override that using "pcie_aspm=force" in your kernel command line. It works very well in my notebook.

Comment

I dont think the problem is in the BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
              I dont think the problem is in the BIOS.
              I fully agree.

Comment

Working...
              X