No announcement yet.

ZFS File-System For Linux Is Still Around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how I've usually run with PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY and even IOSCHED_DEADLINE on desktops, without noticing any lag.

Comment

Originally posted by linux5850 View Post
      Sorry that's what I meant. Tried it and vary bad for a desktop multitasking situation.
      Also, note that the lack of preemption support this isn't by design - it's a bug. Work is underway to fix it.

Comment

I have been using ZoL for quite a while now. Its a very mature project and much more stable than Btrfs. Order of magnitude difference in stability. And sequential transfer speed is close to platter. Random access speed is better than Btrfs/ext4.

I see no reason for not using ZoL. You need kernel sources for the kernel you are running, build a set of modules & utilities (./configure && make && make install kinda) and modprobe the modules and you are in business. Many usable distros already have packages which do all this for you. I personally use Gentoo and its the easiest to get ZoL on.

Comment

me too

Been using native ZFS on my mythbox+NAS for the best part of a year. I love it: SSD cache, dedup, in-filesystem compression, snapshots - a poor man's netapp!

Comment

Working...
          X