Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRI1 drivers for Ubuntu 12.04 (savage mga r128 tdfx sis unichrome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI1 drivers for Ubuntu 12.04 (savage mga r128 tdfx sis unichrome)

With mesa 8.0 in Ubuntu 12.04 there is no more OpenGL support out of the box for cards missing DRI2 drivers. However, as was commented when the DRI1 support was killed off in mesa development, the old drivers can still be used with the new mesa core because the driver API has not changed. I have therefore packaged up old 7.11 DRI1 drivers into a libgl1-mesa-dri-legacy package for your ultimate convenience and retro enjoyment:

It works well on my savage laptop, that is, as well as OpenGL ever did on this card. I think the QT3 demo is pretty much how far it gets... I have no idea if the other drivers work, please report back if they don't.

Tips for old HW and SW:
    - I often get page allocation failures when memory runs low. To save memory, boot with "text" and start X with xinit. If you are on Lubuntu, put "lxterminal& openbox" into your .xinitrc for a minimal desktop session. Otherwise, kill/uninstall all the daemons and applets you don't use (update-notifier, cupsd, printing-applet, blueman, etc).
    - Some old third-party software looks for libGL.so. Make a soft link to libGL.so.1 or install libgl1-mesa-dev which ships such a soft link.

tdfx

I had some initial problems with getting the tdfx driver to work. After installing libgl1-mesa-dri-legacy glxgears/glxinfo would crash with the following error:
    Code:
    X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
      Serial number of failed request:  33
      Current serial number in output stream:  36
    Setting "export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose" revealed the following lines preceded the above error message:
    Code:
    libGL: can't find Glide library, dlopen(libglide3-v3.so) and dlopen(libglide3.so) both failed.
    libGL: dlerror() message: /usr/lib/libglide3.so: undefined symbol: __LINE__
    libglide3.so had already been installed in /usr/lib/ by the libglide3 package, but replacing /usr/lib/libglide3.so with the one from the glide sourceforge project fixed this.

Comment

Works great on 12.04 PPC iMac G3 - Rage 128 Pro Ultra TR 2X AGP 16MB
      Gears go from 20's to 300's. These dinosaurs need all the help they can get.
      Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X