Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Chromium Running On Wayland

Phoronix: Google's Chromium Running On Wayland

The Chromium web-browser is back to running on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland minimum requirements are too high.My intel gma 950 does not have OpenGL ES 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
      Wayland minimum requirements are too high.My intel gma 950 does not have OpenGL ES 2.0
      We already have a system that runs on old hardware. It's called X.

Comment

x86_64 minimum requirements are too high. my celeron 2.0ghz doesnt have amd64

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          We already have a system that runs on old hardware. It's called X.

Not entirely true.It's the system which requires more resources to do the same thing.

Comment

update your shit

Comment

To be clear:

The GL ES 2.0 requirement is simply a requirement that the hardware supports programmable shaders.

That is a BIG fundamental requirement. Without that support, you may as well just stick to X, there is a ton of stuff that must be worked around, papered over, and emulated on the CPU.

For simplicity sake, that hardware will be abandoned going forward. You should either stick with legacy code (X) or upgrade your hardware.

Sorry, but hardware that crappy just isn't worth supporting with new code.

Comment

LOL at calling X "legacy code".

Just for a recap, when is Wayland expected to support accelerated OpenGL (not the ES kind, the full thing)?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  LOL at calling X "legacy code".

Just for a recap, when is Wayland expected to support accelerated OpenGL (not the ES kind, the full thing)?
                  I don't think anyone is planning that right now, although it wouldn't be hard. I think ES2 is basically a subset of GL2, which throws out all the legacy/fixed function parts.

The mesa drivers support ES2, and I think both NVidia and AMD do as well (or at least they have that ability for some of their drivers), so I'm not sure there will be any reason to support regular GL2, but if it becomes an issue I bet someone will fix it pretty quickly.

Comment

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the problem was that libGL from Mesa was heavily tied to X, and cleaning that is quite an undertaking.

It just seems funny that people are complaining so vocally that OpenGL 4 apps don't run on Linux (there's 2 of them. TWO!), yet get excited about a system which does not support basically any existing native OpenGL software.

Comment

Working...
                    X