Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• status xpress 200 M

Hi!
    Does anyone knows about the status of the open source driver and 200 M Dri support?
    this fglrx keeps disappointing.

Originally posted by irielion View Post
    Hi!
    Does anyone knows about the status of the open source driver and 200 M Dri support?
    this fglrx keeps disappointing.
    i'll try testing it today or tomorrow (it was just released in portage today) and let you know what can be done and what i get from glxgears and fgl_glxgears. if i'd be able to also run it i'll post also the compiz benchmarks. for what i know compiz doesn't run on this driver neither with fglrx or ati-drivers.
    the only stuff that sucks is that i have to update to xorg 7.3 and xorg-server 1.4 if want to use it while now with fglrx i'm just on 7.2/1.3 since it's stable with fglrx.

edited:

the status is the following:

i get about 2x in fps with the xf86-video-ati, but:
    1. no opengl acceleration working, ie if you start using opengl accel you'll get the screen to go green and then made xorg to restart
    2. no randr
    3. no rendering
    4. aiglx and composite work but as i've said before opengl, randr and reder are disabled.
    5. the edid info is ok, and seem to be ok also for the svideo output.
    6. standby seem not to work properly on my pc
    7. no powerplay
    8. the driver works with the latest xorg and xorg-server
    9. xvideo seem to work quite well, though.
    10. compiz won't work

my conseil: if you don't need opengl accel get the xf86-video-ati else stick with fglrx that work fine with the board and has features that the opensource driver doesn't (for example opengl, reder accel, compiz or beryl work but slow, opengl sometimes is faster than the fglrx Xv engine, now the memory leak bug is fixed, or at least it seems so)
    Last edited by givemesugarr; 26 December 2007, 12:31 PM.

Comment

then currently there is no need to upgrade to the open source driver. But it seems that there have been many improvements though, maybe i didnt clearly understood, but there is direct rendering. OpenGl rendering on the other hand doesnt work yet. Is it like that? or opengl rendering = direct rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by irielion View Post
        then currently there is no need to upgrade to the open source driver. But it seems that there have been many improvements though, maybe i didnt clearly understood, but there is direct rendering. OpenGl rendering on the other hand doesnt work yet. Is it like that? or opengl rendering = direct rendering.
        there were a lot of improvements for r500/r600 support, but for r300 i wasn't able to see anything particular in the release notes. more over, the x200m is an evil board that has a lot of problems. this is one of the reasons why i keep staying with fglrx. about 2 months after the specs for this board would be released then maybe we can expect a good opensource driver. but i think that for that time we'll have just buy another notebook.

Comment

hmm, another notebook sounds expensive. Well i will just keep up my hope for a better driver either fglrx or opensource!

Comment

There are quite a few X200M revisions. I'm using current git. As opposed to givemesugarr, hardware accelerated OpenGL works fine for me, but is somewhat slower than fglrx. As does randr (1.2), which makes way for very convenient and quick display configuration changes (my xorg.conf is quite minimal). PowerPlay works too, I guess, at least the driver reports DynamicClocks being enabled. Compiz does not work for me b/c of API compatibility problems, but it did work, although buggy, with code using the old DRI API.

Code:
            01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company MX6125
                    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B+
                    Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
                    Latency: 64 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
                    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
                    Region 0: Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
                    Region 1: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
                    Region 2: Memory at cc300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
                    [virtual] Expansion ROM at cc320000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
                            Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
              There are quite a few X200M revisions. I'm using current git. As opposed to givemesugarr, hardware accelerated OpenGL works fine for me, but is somewhat slower than fglrx. As does randr (1.2), which makes way for very convenient and quick display configuration changes (my xorg.conf is quite minimal). PowerPlay works too, I guess, at least the driver reports DynamicClocks being enabled. Compiz does not work for me b/c of API compatibility problems, but it did work, although buggy, with code using the old DRI API.

Code:
              01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                      Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company MX6125
                      Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B+
                      Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
                      Latency: 64 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
                      Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
                      Region 0: Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
                      Region 1: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
                      Region 2: Memory at cc300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
                      [virtual] Expansion ROM at cc320000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                      Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
                              Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
              my board is a 5975 x200m. do you have rendering enabled? i've also tried it out for some time and everytime i close xorg i get display corruption and have to shut down the pc from doing ctrl+alt+f1, login as root (hoping that i don't miss the password for it) and then shutdown or reboot via init 0/6. also sometimes xorg gets rebooted by itself for some unknown reason...
              it would be nice if some documentation about this chipsets could be passed to its opensource devs via nda before the official roll out, which i don't see in the near future. i've also tried to install revenge on it but no way to have the board identified by it.
              guess that for the moment i'll stay out with fglrx for now since for now it doesn't do these awful stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X