Microsoft Windows 8: Mostly A Crap Wreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siride View Post
    That's not really true for Linux. We never notice because we always just install software from the repos. You can't take binaries, or installers from 2001 and have them work on modern Linux. It's DOA.
    I believe the oldest installer and binaries I have gotten working were from 1998, maybe even 1996. It does vary on a case by case basis, but that is true on any platform.

Comment

Windows 8 is the operating system that will finally detach users from the "classic windows ui". This means people will start to accept changes and their mind will get open enough to start looking at other operating systems different from classic windows 95 style.
      Windows 8 is the OS that will bring more users to Linux and Mac, not because Windows 8 is not good, simply because it will force the user to become open-minded and accept changes. When a user accepts something different from what he knows, there are high chances he will become curious to try plenty of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        I also don't like how the software-repository concept was attributed to apple. Linux distros used software repositories long before apple did. Apple was just the first to COMMERCIALIZE a software repository. In fact, I would say that the software repository infrastructure is far more advanced on Linux than it is on microapple, in that it allows the integration of MULTIPLE repositories and can cross check software dependencies and conflicts. Please... credit to those who really DESERVE it. Not to those who BUTCHER it.
        No... Apple doesn't even get that much, Valve was the first to commercialize a software repository with Steam in 2003

Comment

even if win8's UI sucks balls gnome and kde suck in many ways too. but if we concede that gnome3 is not stupid and watered-down and kde is not a glitzy clusterfuck there is still the issue that no linux distro can ever hope to match the reliability of windows. simply because MS has full time army of bug-testers, something Red Hat and Canonical cannot afford.

Comment

At least Linux has a better community for reporting bugs.

Originally posted by asdx
            Strange, all my Id Software games work just fine still, and the original binaries of those haven't been updated in a while.

Explain how this is possible then?
            Last i tried i coudn't get sound on Q3, worked grate threw wine though.

Comment

true that. does MS even have an official bug reporting tool?

Comment

"reliability of windows"? Thats kinda like saying, "flight capability of horses"

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  true that. does MS even have an official bug reporting tool?

Good luck getting a "solution" though.

Originally posted by asdx
                  I wouldn't even compare Windows with a horse, that's too insulting for horses, and horses are beautiful animals. Perhaps compare Windows with a pig or something.
                  Now, now, Windows 8 with Metro is beautiful. It's got pretty colours all over the place. I can easily see it being compared to a magical unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    Last i tried i coudn't get sound on Q3, worked grate threw wine though.
                    Well, that is due to changes in the sound server, which I admit is a weak spot for old game compatibility. But it is not insurmountable - or a problem that is characteristic only to Linux.

It is also true that WINE has some compatibility advantages - I have heard of people who use WINE instead of native windows because it is better than playing there older games. Due to the fact it is by it's nature trying to emulate certain environments, that is also understandable.

In the case of Quake III though, you would probably be better off with a source port than running it through WINE though.

Comment

I agree with the article. I tried the Windows 8 preview a few weeks ago and I think Metro UI is a FAIL.

I run Linux and prefer FOSS when possible, but Windows IS the world's dominant workstation OS, and it has been pretty good at it. So I try the preview, and I see the regular old Windows 95 based desktop is still there, but there is also Metro. It seems you are using one or the other, there is no smooth transition or integration between the two. And currently there are few Metro applications. Not sure I'd want any Metro apps anyways. Plain mono rectangles.. of different sizes... lots of them... huh. Well they are animated nicely. I'll say that.

The only thing I can figure is that it must be some strategy, as others have said, where by Microsoft REALLY wants to dominate in the smart phone tablet sector. So they are leveraging their greatest source of power, the PC OS, to try and make it happen in reverse. "see! your phone and your PC work the same!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X