No announcement yet.

Microsoft Windows 8: Mostly A Crap Wreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so.. will we have to add the power consumption at night when we make tests for energy efficiency?...
    what will it be like? I am usually turning off all electric things with a switch at night (which saves me about 0,21KWh each night for 30W stand-by usage) will there be a problem or will i have to use the tweak one mentioned earlier to reboot and kill him while still in "bios"?

Comment

@bug77

I have got a script to automate that, basically it supports kanotix isolinux (just like any debian live variants with isolinux), ubuntu and with a few extra lines win vista+. It is a piece of cake when you know what to do. But the cool thing is that you can even install GRUB2 onto ntfs... You can reuse your (existing) ntfs usb hds for Linux live boots as well with installed grub - or you can boot W8 To Go

Comment

I have had plenty of problems with AHCI and Windows, not so with Linux here I have even been able to switch it post install.

Comment

Maybe they are refunding the interface to return to their roots:

Comment

@AJenbo

I had issues with suspend2ram with UEFI (on Linux+Win) as well, needed firmware updates to fix that. Usually thats the best way if you can stell get those. BIOS mode worked somehow on my Q67 system. I think that will improve with new systems as Win 7/8 do not allow software workarounds so it has to work out of the box. Linux usually works then as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
              Maybe they are refunding the interface to return to their roots:
              Perfect. Mind if i share?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
                Perfect. Mind if i share?
                It's not his. It's been floating around the net for a while now.

Comment

I also take issue with some statements that would be seen as misleading. Linux support in kernel is vastly superior to windows. Yes you can install all those drivers from your disks and websites but since were talking about installing and booting I thought it relevant. Let's talk about Windows 8. I think it's a step in both directions the arm support is a serious step forward while the metro UI is "forcing" to say the least. I know I didn't like it but I don't like phone ui's either so I maybe the minority. 8 really needs cross-ui intergration and then I will consider it ready but after Windows 7 this seems a bit too much hassle.

I can't believe Gabe can't get a Gnu/Linux distro installation to work first try.. He must be a fa-king idiot or liar...

Comment

Achtung!!!

You should be really careful when talking about windows power consumption on laptops. Last year the reference AMD Llano platform showed +8 hours on single charge, but almost all of the laptops based on Llano couldn't work more than 4-5 hours on batteries. As a matter of fact my Linux laptop lives longer on battery than any standard windows + AMD Llano laptop.

Although, I completely agree with your other conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                      I also take issue with some statements that would be seen as misleading. Linux support in kernel is vastly superior to windows.
                      This is the delusion Michael mentions. It's not "superior." It's a different design philosophy. Windows does not put drivers in the kernel. Windows does not force you to install a new kernel just to update one driver. The Windows way of dealing with drivers is superior to Linux from the user perspective. The Linux way of dealing with drivers is superior from the kernel developer perspective. Linux does not provide a driver ABI like Windows does because it's too much work to maintain that ABI. Windows does shy away from that work because we *pay* them. They get paid to work and satisfy our demands. You can't *demand* anything from Linux kernel developers. You aren't paying them.

I can't believe Gabe can't get a Gnu/Linux distro installation to work first try.. He must be a fa-king idiot or liar...
                      And you must be dense, since he didn't say he can't get it to work. He said he can't get it to work with all his hardware working correctly. I believe him, since countless times I installed Linux on various machines only to have stuff like not getting any sound, plugging-in a USB microphone doing nothing and graphics drivers not supporting accelerated 3D or desktop effects.

Comment

Working...
                      X