No announcement yet.

Did Hell Freeze Over? GIMP 2.8 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the only way that open source projects don't suck balls is for people to donate rougly the same as they would for commercial apps. that means forking over at least 150 when using gimp. otherwise it's going to be the same old crap

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      IMO this is a good example of why Gtk is not suited for complicated stuff. It's good for simple things, but once you're doing something *really* non-trivial, it becomes a liability.
      Except the delays have nothing to do with GTK+.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
        Except the delays have nothing to do with GTK+.
        Ach, what do you know? You only keep up with the development so you can let people know the status of GIMP and try and get more people involved (I believe this is the meaning of "news and community outreach").
        These guys ARE Qt! If any other toolkit is perceived to be anything other than suckage, where would they be?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
          Couldn't agree more. Having worked with higher-level UI toolkits like QT and Java/Swing it makes me wonder how so many developers can manage the burden of GTKs horrible API design.
          Implying Qt or Java are any better, they just suck at different parts. For example in Qt they have the most idiotic message system ever, one that doesn't let you know the sender. Wtf were they smoking? That's about the second most important part in messaging, after the message contents themselves.

That makes the usual hello world in many toolkits require absurd workarounds in Qt, mainly a window with some buttons and actions, "you pressed button 1", "pressed button 2". That doesn't exactly instill confidence in Qt as a toolkit in general.

Haven't done a Java GUI in a few years (thank $DEITY) so I can't remember what sucked hard there, I just have some undescribable nightmares from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            Couldn't agree more. Having worked with higher-level UI toolkits like QT and Java/Swing it makes me wonder how so many developers can manage the burden of GTKs horrible API design.
            And the yet again completly screwed up their filechooser for GTK3 (and for fun, backported the changes to GTK2 - yeah!)

I didn't read up on the filechooser changes (instead hoped they would have done a good job) so what changes were made that screw their filechooser?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Implying Qt or Java are any better, they just suck at different parts. For example in Qt they have the most idiotic message system ever, one that doesn't let you know the sender. Wtf were they smoking?
              Er, wut? Maybe you just missed it:

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Er, wut? Maybe you just missed it:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qobject.html#sender
                Damn, thanks. I distinctly recall reading official Qt docs saying it was not supported, maybe in the tutorials section.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Damn, thanks. I distinctly recall reading official Qt docs saying it was not supported, maybe in the tutorials section.
                  It's just not recommended. You shouldn't need to know the sender of a message for the same reason you shouldn't need to know the caller of a function. Remember that class functions are also messages in OO thinking (calling a member function is "sending a message to the object"). If you do need to know, this can be a sign of bad design.

Comment

I think it would be nice just to be able merge multiple layers together without having to hide all but the ones you want to merge. They have a linking function, but you can't merge linked layers. I don't use GIMP for much but that's the only reason I'd ever bother linking layers anyway. It would also be nice to just be able to select multiple layers without linking (say, to delete them).
                    Last edited by randomizer; 05 May 2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Totally agree

Comment

Working...
                      X