Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Hell Freeze Over? GIMP 2.8 Released

Phoronix: Did Hell Freeze Over? GIMP 2.8 Released

With word this morning of Electronic Arts making plans with Ubuntu and now the release of GIMP 2.8, some may think that hell has frozen over...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMO this is a good example of why Gtk is not suited for complicated stuff. It's good for simple things, but once you're doing something *really* non-trivial, it becomes a liability.

Comment

Chasing down the dependencies to install this from source is turning out to be a major pain in the ass. I wonder when this will hit the repos?

Comment

Hoping to see this ship with Fedora 17.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          IMO this is a good example of why Gtk is not suited for complicated stuff. It's good for simple things, but once you're doing something *really* non-trivial, it becomes a liability.
          Couldn't agree more. Having worked with higher-level UI toolkits like QT and Java/Swing it makes me wonder how so many developers can manage the burden of GTKs horrible API design.
          And the yet again completly screwed up their filechooser for GTK3 (and for fun, backported the changes to GTK2 - yeah!)

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            QT and Java/Swing it makes me wonder how so many developers can manage the burden of GTKs horrible API design.
            I love qt, but please, please, don't talk about Java like this :'(.
            Last edited by Sverro2; 03 May 2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
              Couldn't agree more. Having worked with higher-level UI toolkits like QT and Java/Swing it makes me wonder how so many developers can manage the burden of GTKs horrible API design.
              Well, they are GIMP, and not KIMP or QIMP

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                Hoping to see this ship with Fedora 17.
                F17 already has a RC version of Gimp, 2.8 will probably be available as a day 0 update .

Comment

It's already in a ppa for ubuntu

Comment

hopeless

It's hopeless. Not that GIMP isn't useful cause it is but look at the roadmap. We'll get the useful features in 3.2 which will probably when hell REALLY freezes over.
                    Yeah I know what people will say: "If you want those features then get involved and code". Maybe more people would get involved in these open source projects when coders become less sloppy/lazy and learn how to document what the hell they're doing.

GIMP 3.0
                    Port to GTK3
                    High bit depths

GIMP 3.2
                    Automatic layer boundary management
                    Filter layers and "Layer effects"
                    Non-destructive editing

GIMP 3.4
                    Auto-anchoring of floating selection - or better, get rid of floating selections!

GIMP 3.6
                    Script recording and playback
                    "Smart objects"

GIMP 3.8
                    Unified transform tool
                    Last edited by linux5850; 03 May 2012, 08:39 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                    X