Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good point

Originally posted by boast View Post
    But by EA doing some linux things, would that not encourage other publishers to do the same?
    Also, it could be first step to redemption :P

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
      But by EA doing some linux things, would that not encourage other publishers to do the same?
      That's no reason not to hate them. Sure, it would help Linux popularity. That would be awesome. But I'd still hate their guts.

Comment

Selling of indulgences

Ok, here's the deal, EA:

- Get back Peter Molyneux.
        - Grant him freedom in creating a new Dungeon Keeper and/or Magic Carpet.
        - Multiplatform release including Linux.
        - Release of legacy game engines (not the assets) under an open licence.

...and all your sins may be forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          Ok, here's the deal, EA:

- Get back Peter Molyneux.
          - Grant him freedom in creating a new Dungeon Keeper and/or Magic Carpet.
          - Multiplatform release including Linux.
          - Release of legacy game engines (not the assets) under an open licence.

...and all your sins may be forgiven.
          You forgot one: Bring back the Wing Commander series that you completely ruined once you bought out Origin.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I hate EA with a passion. They destroy every game concept they come across. They're the Justin Bieber of video games; making money simply because they target the vast majority of humans: the generic type, lacking taste, creative thinking and interest in anything that shows some depth.
            That's true, but Linux needs games like Sims and NFS to gain more popularity. They suck, but they're popular.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

The news has been quick to spread today that Electronic Arts will be making a brief presentation at the Ubuntu Developer Summit next week...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5NTk
              This may well be the best contribution to Linux from Ubuntu, ever (if they don't make this a Ubuntu only solution...).

Still, i am very very happy to hear this!

Comment

Just to point out: a short (15 minute apparently) presentation by EA doesn't actually mean anything much at this point in time. They could very well just stand up and say "Linux needs games" and sit down again. They could very well try to push something like wine to take the cheat's way out. Basically there's no information on what the talk will be about, so everything is pure conjecture at this point. Unless I missed something that pointed out explicitly that EA are porting and/or making native Linux games (and if you're going to try point that out, cut through the hype and point to something substantial please).

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                  You forgot one: Bring back the Wing Commander series that you completely ruined once you bought out Origin.
                  You forgot CnC series as well, Westwood was killed by them.

They also got sued for making people work 18hours/day, so they totally burnout.

I know this type of companies, they only are interested in money.

Random call: "Hello, can I buy these collection toys from you?"
                  (Gets a toy suddenly out of nowhere, probably $0.50 China): "Yes, we are selling toys now! Only 49,99$! "
                  Last edited by crazycheese; 03 May 2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    Just to point out: a short (15 minute apparently) presentation by EA doesn't actually mean anything much at this point in time. They could very well just stand up and say "Linux needs games" and sit down again. They could very well try to push something like wine to take the cheat's way out. Basically there's no information on what the talk will be about, so everything is pure conjecture at this point. Unless I missed something that pointed out explicitly that EA are porting and/or making native Linux games (and if you're going to try point that out, cut through the hype and point to something substantial please).
                    I think it's reasonable to assume that if EA and Canonical have inked a deal, it involves EA making games available for Ubuntu. EA is a games publisher, Canonical is an OS vendor. Now it is possible that EA has decided to go into the fast food and catering market and intends to supply Mark Shuttleworth's bunch with baloney sandwiches for lunch for the next year, but that's rather far-fetched.

The only conclusion that makes sense is that EA is bringing games to Ubuntu.

Comment

Linux is not Ubuntu ONLY

If they are going to support Ubuntu only, this is going to be a big fail.

Comment

Working...
                      X