Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Hybrid View

Default Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

Phoronix: Electronic Arts At Ubuntu Summit; Linux Games Coming?

The news has been quick to spread today that Electronic Arts will be making a brief presentation at the Ubuntu Developer Summit next week...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5NTk

EA does have their "Orion" game service that's basically a competitor to Valve's Steam and Desura too. However, it's unlikely that they will be bringing Orion to Linux, at least initially. This Canonical deal is about bringing their games to Ubuntu and making them available through the Ubuntu Software Center.
    s/Orion/Origin/g

As some of us already predicted (what do we won? :P).
    I'm sure they are only going to bring popcap games, or games with bad sells on win. Hopefully I'm wrong with this one, but I doubt it.

YES, finally an anuall release of <random sports game>. Just what the linux desktop was missing.

Actually yes, thats something that we really need, we need games that sell the most, and sport games are among them.

Default no, not really...

Quote Originally Posted by YaPeL View Post
    Actually yes, thats something that we really need, we need games that sell the most, and sport games are among them.
    There are 2 points of view.
    1) we need it to make Linux more popular.(IMHO it will fail)
    2) People play this stuff.(no, they don't, not Linux fans anyway. Football is stupid anyway, not nerdy enough for PC game)

Quote Originally Posted by YaPeL View Post
    If we need sports games we don't need EA's, we need the ones that used to be fun to play like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz not the canned reskin games that EA has been selling for a decade.

Even their non sports games are terrible. Army Of Two had so much potential yet failed miserably.

I hate EA with a passion. They destroy every game concept they come across. They're the Justin Bieber of video games; making money simply because they target the vast majority of humans: the generic type, lacking taste, creative thinking and interest in anything that shows some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I hate EA with a passion. They destroy every game concept they come across. They're the Justin Bieber of video games; making money simply because they target the vast majority of humans: the generic type, lacking taste, creative thinking and interest in anything that shows some depth.
    That. To put in Michael's terms: They are the AnhauserBusch of videogames.

Wink Selling of indulgences

Ok, here's the deal, EA:

- Get back Peter Molyneux.
    - Grant him freedom in creating a new Dungeon Keeper and/or Magic Carpet.
    - Multiplatform release including Linux.
    - Release of legacy game engines (not the assets) under an open licence.

...and all your sins may be forgiven.