No announcement yet.

Building a new system w/Linux, finally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new system w/Linux, finally?

Hello, I hope this is the right part of the forums for system-wide questions. I'm building a new system and wanted to know if I should anticipate any problems with GPU/processor/board, but that would have required several different posts in the various subforums. Please let me know if this wasn't the right way to go about it.

I last used Linux with about Mandrake 8.2 (before they became Mandriva); a kernel panic and lousy WINE/Cedega support for Windows games at the time drove me back to a Win2k solution so I could actually play things with the rest of my family. Cedega seems to have come a long way, and we're just starting the process of upgrading systems, so I wanted to run the following build past you:
    • Asus GeForce 8600GTS 256MB video card
    • ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 motherboard (I don't need/want SLI, but they don't hardly seem to sell MBs without it these days)
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W processor
    • OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR2-800 SDRAM (I don't think there'd be any compatability issues with memory sticks, but you never know)
    • Rosewill case, Antec earthwatts 430W PSU, Seagate Barracuda 250GB HD, etc.
    Main purposes of this build are Internet & Home Office, some Gaming (Civ IV, NWN 1&2, Age of Mythology, etc... no crazy-FPS needs), and interoperability with Windows computers as far as the home network goes. Anything else is negotiable. My preference at this point is to single-boot Linux (*ubuntu, most likely) and use Cedega & WINE for Windows programs, but I could break down and dual-boot Windows XP/2K if need be. My understanding from last time I did this was that Windows had to occupy the MBR, but that may or may not be true anymore.

You might be able to squeak by with a 430 watt PW
    but I would Strongly recommend at minimum a 500watt PW.
    I personally have had poor results with Antec and
    much prefer Thermaltake.

I am using the same MOBO on this systm running Mandriva cooker, and BTW a 700 watt Thermaltake PW, without issue.

Also have a couple of Rosewell cases, inexpensive but good, but prefer Sapphire ATI video cards.

As to memory I usually go with G.Skill though have gotten other "name" brands when they were on sale.

Charles

Comment

Working...
    X