• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "3D acceleration support not available"

I have AMD/ATI on Linux Mint 12 Lisa:
    Code:
    ~ > inxi
    CPU~Triple core AMD A6-3500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz
    Kernel~3.0.0-12-generic x86_64 Up~1:31 Mem~1128.4/7475.4MB
    HDD~500.1GB(10.1% used) Procs~153 Client~Shell inxi~1.7.7
    I have installed the Catalyst driver (11.8) which seems to be working OK - Catalyst control centre opens OK and doesnt report any obvious problems, and OpenArena plays OK. The graphics feel substantially slower than under Windows XP though, so I installed phoronix-test-suite to look for problems. After attempting to install "Universe" and battling through failed installs I eventually got errors with most graphics things:

Code:
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/gtkperf-1.2.1
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/qgears2-1.0.1
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/nexuiz-1.6.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/warsow-1.3.2
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/tremulous-1.1.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/openarena-1.5.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/urbanterror-1.1.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/padman-1.1.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/smokin-guns-1.1.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/vdrift-1.2.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/etqw-demo-1.1.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/ut2004-demo-1.2.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/lightsmark-1.2.0
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/unigine-sanctuary-1.5.1
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/unigine-tropics-1.5.2
            3D acceleration support not available, cannot run pts/unigine-heaven-1.4.0
    Amazingly, running a Google search for "3D acceleration support not available" throws up only 6 hits, all of which are php code. Likewise I cant find any sign of this in the forums here. Seems like I am the only person in the universe to have this error???? Sounds implausible to me!

What could be causing this?

Why you use such old driver?

Comment

Because I seem to remember jumping through hoops to get it installed - I had to rebuild the package in some way that I've forgotten

Is there an easy way to install the latest 12.3? I do have a copy of amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run on this machine.

Actually I've just realised the commands are still in the "history" Is this the same method to install still?
      Code:
      sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
      sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
      Hmmm... I've just noticed that I installed 12.1 but ATI reports version 11.8 in Control centre. Is that wierd??

Comment

Originally posted by fig_wright View Post
        The graphics feel substantially slower than under Windows XP though
        Maybe because of enabled TearFreeDesktop?

Because I seem to remember jumping through hoops to get it installed - I had to rebuild the package in some way that I've forgotten
        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

I do have a copy of amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run on this machine.
        12.4 is already available.

Hmmm... I've just noticed that I installed 12.1 but ATI reports version 11.8 in Control centre. Is that wierd??
        http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...528#post248528

Comment

Thanks mate - you've been a great help. I updated the linux kernel, the catalyst driver OK. The error has gone and those tests start now, although some of them bomb out at a later stage, but some clearly run OK. My only obvious problem now is to do with hardware video decode:
          Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
          This might be because my /etc/X11/xorg.conf is junk...

Comment

Working...
          X