EVGA GTX 460 Fan Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVGA GTX 460 Fan Question

Hey, I have the NVIDIA drivers perfectly installed, and all that good stuff but I have 1 question... about Fan speed.
    Should I just let it sit at 30% fan speed? Or find a way to speed it up? I've tried nvclock and my computer locked up(on 10.04, can't get 12.04 installed, but that is a whole different story).
    In Windows 7(blah), I have it to go up 1% fan speed per 1c(EVGA Precision). Usually on a Load in Windows I get up to near 50c(and 50% fan).

BTW: I use EDuke32 + HRP & Polymer in Ubuntu, and it gets near the same temp.
    Thinking about doing some benchmarking in Ubuntu, and just a little concerned about my GPU temperature.

a bit of an old post i know, but i just actually messed with this this morning:

see this post at ubuntuforums:

Hi I have been wondering, googling and testing (nvclock) to get FANSPEED control to my nvidia-control panel but my card doesnt support nvclock. I did add line (Option “Coolbits” “4″) to xorg.conf (using this http://ncatarino.net/archives/573 )but nothing happened. Should i use older drivers or what? Im worried about card temperature, no load and still 62-celsius and FAN only 35%. I know its not SO high temp but still, what i can do? BIOS dont have options for that, only CPU. I did take

essentially, in the Device section of xorg.conf add:
    Code:
    Option         "Coolbits" "4"
    (or Option "Coolbits" "5"...either will work just fine"

and reboot. You will now be able to set/control fan speed using the nvidia-settings utility.

Comment

Working...
    X