OpenBSD 5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    So you don't care if your application is portable or not?
    I don't care at all. However, most applications are portable between Linux and BSD.

Comment

• Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
      All he cares about is that linux is #1, he is actually worse than a mac fanboy its really sad to read.
      This 'community' at phoronix is very close minded, they just want to replace MS's monopoly with
      one of linux.
      A MS fanboy has spoken. That's true when comes to first words in your sentence, but you forgot to say Windows has to die. Only fools want Windows to remain #1.

They are to cheap to buy windows or a decent pc that can handle windows 7, so they roll linux.
      They then login to phoronix to troll any topic that is not about linux, spewing great comments about
      how amazing KMS and udev is (lol).
      I won't ever buy Windows 7, that's for sure. My PC can handle it, but I can't. It seems to be better than XP in some things, but coming back from Linux to Windows is like selling a house and going to live under the bridge. You're not safe with it. Let's change topic and comment how great antivirus software I discovered yesterday. This is what Windows fanboys like talking about. I forgot to add is broken crap and paying for crap is stupid (except when you're a gamer).
      Last edited by kraftman; 07 May 2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brad0 View Post
        They're not *much* old and he's doing an apples to oranges comparison. Doesn't count.
        Not much old, KDE 3.5.10, which was released in August 2008. Nearly 4 years, but no, is not old.

They don't even pickup Trinity which offers a fixed version of 3.5.x series (currently 3.5.13).
        Gnome is not that old, but have been unsupported for a while too (more than a year).

One of the things I learned in school about security is to keep your software up to date. And surely they don't.

Comment

I did know Alpine Linux, but I didn't know it can run XFCE, Firefox and other desktop required bloat. I will try it.

I want to use same OS for server and desktop.
          All web browsers are bloated, because web standards are bloated. And I hope wayland won't be bloated, but maybe i'm to optimistic.
          I actually don't need acceleration for my desktop use.
          You can try Arch. The only mayor shortcoming it had was the lack of package signing, but not anymore. While some people might argue about the occasional breakage rolling can bring, installing a server only once is priceless.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            I don't think older GCC will make it smaller. OpenBSD is not heavily optimised.

Yes, I have found the answer: don't use libc and code in assembler!

Comment

• Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
              You can try Arch. The only mayor shortcoming it had was the lack of package signing, but not anymore. While some people might argue about the occasional breakage rolling can bring, installing a server only once is priceless.
              I'm already using it. I don't think it is the best solution for server. It's rolling release is too fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                Not much old, KDE 3.5.10, which was released in August 2008. Nearly 4 years, but no, is not old.

They don't even pickup Trinity which offers a fixed version of 3.5.x series (currently 3.5.13).
                Gnome is not that old, but have been unsupported for a while too (more than a year).

One of the things I learned in school about security is to keep your software up to date. And surely they don't.
                Most OpenBSD users use other DE's. Also DE doesn't pose very high security threat.

Comment

I don't think older GCC will make it smaller. OpenBSD is not heavily optimised.

Yes, I have found the answer: don't use libc and code in assembler!
                  Don't use glibc may be the answer for you. If you care that much why don't you ask at glibc mailing list or irc?

Comment

I'm already using it. I don't think it is the best solution for server. It's rolling release is too fast.
                    You'll probably be more comfortable with Debian, RHEL or Ubuntu, because they're not rolling releases and you don't have to pay as much attention when you upgrade system. In rolling releases configuration may change. I like Arch as much as Ubuntu, but I was just using it on desktop.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Don't use glibc may be the answer for you. If you care that much why don't you ask at glibc mailing list or irc?
                      I didn't ask, glibc is bloated.

Comment

Working...
                      X