Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    GOG is a business not a damned democracy, they don't have to do a single thing just because you click a button on a website.
    What an extraordindary comeback. "They don't have to do anything because." If GOG doesn't want to piss off the community and thus push away the source of income that has brought it so far, it wouild be wise to listen rather than to throw away its core principles. Now quit whining and get out.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      What an extraordindary comeback. "They don't have to do anything because." If GOG doesn't want to piss off the community and thus push away the source of income that has brought it so far, it wouild be wise to listen rather than to throw away its core principles. Now quit whining and get out.
      Their only principle is making money. You, being an unimportant minority, do not provide enough business to impact that.

Comment

Their only principle is making money. You, being an unimportant minority, do not provide enough business to impact that.
        Even a small number of customers, buying a few games each would be able to cover the minor expense of releasing already supported games on Linux. Do you have anything useful to add to? Or are you just here to shit on people campaigning for something worthwhile?

Comment

• Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
          Even a small number of customers, buying a few games each would be able to cover the minor expense of releasing already supported games on Linux.
          No it wouldn't. If all 14,494 of the people hitting the plus sign for linux games on gog bought one $5 game (a likely scenario), Gog only receives $21,741 (assuming a 30% cut before taxes) which doesn't cover the yearly wage and benefits for one support person, let alone the cost of bandwidth and file storage.

You need to rethink your argument with a focus on the actual cost of things.

Comment

• Wouldn't 14,401 people buying a 5 dollar a game minus 30% taxes be $43,503?
            (You got 1/3 of the total by multiplying by .3, but forgot to double it for 2/3.)

GoG gave me 9 free games for buying one, so bandwidth can't cost that much.

Comment

• A GOG employee dropped a very subtle hint about Linux support. More hope, more tears? Oh, well, keep voting!

Comment

No it wouldn't. If all 14,494 of the people hitting the plus sign for linux games on gog bought one $5 game (a likely scenario), Gog only receives $21,741 (assuming a 30% cut before taxes) which doesn't cover the yearly wage and benefits for one support person, let alone the cost of bandwidth and file storage.

You need to rethink your argument with a focus on the actual cost of things.
                I am sure you already know this but your math is completely wrong.

14 494 * 5 = 72 570
                72 470 - 30% = 50 729

That's 50 729$ for GOG. You also assume that all these Linux users will only buy a single 5$ game in that entire year which is complete nonsense, not a likely scenario.

Please don't misrepresent numbers here, especially if you are a fellow Linux user. It doesn't help us whatsoever.

Comment

I am sure you already know this but your math is completely wrong.

14 494 * 5 = 72 570
                  72 470 - 30% = 50 729

That's 50 729$ for GOG. You also assume that all these Linux users will only buy a single 5$ game in that entire year which is complete nonsense, not a likely scenario.

Please don't misrepresent numbers here, especially if you are a fellow Linux user. It doesn't help us whatsoever.
                  I think he mean that GoG will get 30% of the whole price, with the 70% going in taxes and to the publisher, which sound reasonable enough to me.

But I agree with you, while I'm sure that many people that voted Linux support will not buy a game, I'm also sure that many of those will buy way more than a single $5 game in a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    I think he mean that GoG will get 30% of the whole price, with the 70% going in taxes and to the publisher, which sound reasonable enough to me.

But I agree with you, while I'm sure that many people that voted Linux support will not buy a game, I'm also sure that many of those will buy way more than a single $5 game in a year.
                    Ahhh, that does make more sense now, thank you. This only counts as anecdotal evidence, but what kind of gamer buys a single, super cheap game per year? Additionally, I've read of Linux gamers (and seen their collections) who buy way too many games and spend way too much money now that support is gearing up just to show developers and publishers that gamers on Linux are willing. With GOG being DRM free, this need to spend will be fuelled even harder.

Comment

Ahhh, that does make more sense now, thank you. This only counts as anecdotal evidence, but what kind of gamer buys a single, super cheap game per year? Additionally, I've read of Linux gamers (and seen their collections) who buy way too many games and spend way too much money now that support is gearing up just to show developers and publishers that gamers on Linux are willing. With GOG being DRM free, this need to spend will be fuelled even harder.
                      So linux users have no impulse control? Good to know.

You don't have to look too hard to find people that has an account with GOG just for the free games. Oh and about Regional Pricing, GOG's MD says get over it.

Comment

Working...
                      X