Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 141

Thread: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

  1. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    GOG is a business not a damned democracy, they don't have to do a single thing just because you click a button on a website.
    What an extraordindary comeback. "They don't have to do anything because." If GOG doesn't want to piss off the community and thus push away the source of income that has brought it so far, it wouild be wise to listen rather than to throw away its core principles. Now quit whining and get out.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    What an extraordindary comeback. "They don't have to do anything because." If GOG doesn't want to piss off the community and thus push away the source of income that has brought it so far, it wouild be wise to listen rather than to throw away its core principles. Now quit whining and get out.
    Their only principle is making money. You, being an unimportant minority, do not provide enough business to impact that.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bulgaria for now
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Their only principle is making money. You, being an unimportant minority, do not provide enough business to impact that.
    Even a small number of customers, buying a few games each would be able to cover the minor expense of releasing already supported games on Linux. Do you have anything useful to add to? Or are you just here to shit on people campaigning for something worthwhile?

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    Even a small number of customers, buying a few games each would be able to cover the minor expense of releasing already supported games on Linux.
    No it wouldn't. If all 14,494 of the people hitting the plus sign for linux games on gog bought one $5 game (a likely scenario), Gog only receives $21,741 (assuming a 30% cut before taxes) which doesn't cover the yearly wage and benefits for one support person, let alone the cost of bandwidth and file storage.

    You need to rethink your argument with a focus on the actual cost of things.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Wouldn't 14,401 people buying a 5 dollar a game minus 30% taxes be $43,503?
    (You got 1/3 of the total by multiplying by .3, but forgot to double it for 2/3.)

    GoG gave me 9 free games for buying one, so bandwidth can't cost that much.

  6. #126

    Default

    A GOG employee dropped a very subtle hint about Linux support. More hope, more tears? Oh, well, keep voting!

  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    No it wouldn't. If all 14,494 of the people hitting the plus sign for linux games on gog bought one $5 game (a likely scenario), Gog only receives $21,741 (assuming a 30% cut before taxes) which doesn't cover the yearly wage and benefits for one support person, let alone the cost of bandwidth and file storage.

    You need to rethink your argument with a focus on the actual cost of things.
    I am sure you already know this but your math is completely wrong.

    14 494 * 5 = 72 570
    72 470 - 30% = 50 729

    That's 50 729$ for GOG. You also assume that all these Linux users will only buy a single 5$ game in that entire year which is complete nonsense, not a likely scenario.

    Please don't misrepresent numbers here, especially if you are a fellow Linux user. It doesn't help us whatsoever.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    I am sure you already know this but your math is completely wrong.

    14 494 * 5 = 72 570
    72 470 - 30% = 50 729

    That's 50 729$ for GOG. You also assume that all these Linux users will only buy a single 5$ game in that entire year which is complete nonsense, not a likely scenario.

    Please don't misrepresent numbers here, especially if you are a fellow Linux user. It doesn't help us whatsoever.
    I think he mean that GoG will get 30% of the whole price, with the 70% going in taxes and to the publisher, which sound reasonable enough to me.

    But I agree with you, while I'm sure that many people that voted Linux support will not buy a game, I'm also sure that many of those will buy way more than a single $5 game in a year.

  9. #129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spittie View Post
    I think he mean that GoG will get 30% of the whole price, with the 70% going in taxes and to the publisher, which sound reasonable enough to me.

    But I agree with you, while I'm sure that many people that voted Linux support will not buy a game, I'm also sure that many of those will buy way more than a single $5 game in a year.
    Ahhh, that does make more sense now, thank you. This only counts as anecdotal evidence, but what kind of gamer buys a single, super cheap game per year? Additionally, I've read of Linux gamers (and seen their collections) who buy way too many games and spend way too much money now that support is gearing up just to show developers and publishers that gamers on Linux are willing. With GOG being DRM free, this need to spend will be fuelled even harder.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    Ahhh, that does make more sense now, thank you. This only counts as anecdotal evidence, but what kind of gamer buys a single, super cheap game per year? Additionally, I've read of Linux gamers (and seen their collections) who buy way too many games and spend way too much money now that support is gearing up just to show developers and publishers that gamers on Linux are willing. With GOG being DRM free, this need to spend will be fuelled even harder.
    So linux users have no impulse control? Good to know.

    You don't have to look too hard to find people that has an account with GOG just for the free games. Oh and about Regional Pricing, GOG's MD says get over it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •