X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    But what is inevitable about it?

Edit:

Look at that post you are linking the GOG employee(otherwise a very awesome guy in every way). He is using running Fallout on a Raspberry Pi as scare scenario. So in other words, in order to support Linux, GOG would have to find a way to support the Raspberry Pi. That is a crazy demand.
    I am talking from a business sense here. Does GOG really want to leave the Linux market uncontested as more and more focus is bestowed upon it? Steam, Kickstarter, the Humble Bundle are all catering to Linux and it's only going to get better. Yes, GOG appear to be incredibly misinformed with regard to Linux and cannot, for whatever reason, simply focus on a single distribution like Valve are doing, but like I said, as things become better for Linux, why wouldn't they want a piece of the pie? Plenty of Kickstarter games coming to GOG are supporting Linux, and GOG are willing to provide open source games such as Warsow as well. What possible next step could there be as they evolve if not to support Linux?
    Last edited by FutureSuture; 18 June 2013, 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo.

Comment

Well you could say the same about 2K Games or Rockstar, ZeniMax, EA, Activision etc. You argument applies to EVERY publisher, distributor and online retailer/distributor out there. But it is far far far from inevitable that they will come to Linux. A lot of good things are happening on the Linux gaming front but that isn't bringing us Epic Games or id Software or CryTek or any number of developers and publishers. It takes more than a little bit of positive momentum. Sure it may bring some ports like Football Manager 14. But it doesn't mean that every game or every publisher or every digital distributor suddenly will *INEVITABLY* come to Linux.

Comment

Well you could say the same about 2K Games or Rockstar, ZeniMax, EA, Activision etc. You argument applies to EVERY publisher, distributor and online retailer/distributor out there. But it is far far far from inevitable that they will come to Linux. A lot of good things are happening on the Linux gaming front but that isn't bringing us Epic Games or id Software or CryTek or any number of developers and publishers. It takes more than a little bit of positive momentum. Sure it may bring some ports like Football Manager 14. But it doesn't mean that every game or every publisher or every digital distributor suddenly will *INEVITABLY* come to Linux.
        Those publishers you named embrace DRM, regional pricing, and other aspects of gaming that I do not agree with, nor fall in line with Linux philosophy. I don't see why they would support Linux considering their policies when GOG embraces a lack of DRM and regional pricing and a sizeable portion of its user base consist of Linux gamers judging from the requests, guides, and so on. Many actually refuse to buy from GOG nowadays when they can get games from places like the Humble Bundle and Steam. I am sure GOG has noticed.

Comment

Well I hope you are correct, but I don't really see them as a Linux friendly company. But you are correct that the demographics and philosophy are much more enticing with regards to GOG than say EA. But then again id has open sourced even new games! Yet I don't see them returning to Linux and even less bringing their parent company with them. In that same way I consder GOG to be a long shot

Comment

Well I hope you are correct, but I don't really see them as a Linux friendly company. But you are correct that the demographics and philosophy are much more enticing with regards to GOG than say EA. But then again id has open sourced even new games! Yet I don't see them returning to Linux and even less bringing their parent company with them. In that same way I consder GOG to be a long shot
            I hope I am correct as well, but not all companies follow logical business unfortunately! You are right, that message by a GOG employee from over a year ago had some pretty serious misconceptions, and the id example is a good one. All I ask is that people vote, perhaps leave comments every now and then, and pick up a free game every once in a while for when it finally happens.

Comment

I certainly support people voting for the Linux suggestion and the like!

On something you mentioned previously about some of the big companies like EA liking DRM, etc. EA is also has a bunch of games DRM free on GOG, they released the source code for Sim City and have done some things like that from time to time and lastly they have a bunch of games on MAC.

With Sega/Sports Interactive porting Football Manager 2014 to Linux, who knows what could happen. Many of the mainstream companies have pretty good support for Mac.

Max Payne 3 is about to come out for Mac. Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if EA or Take Two were to beat GOG out to Linux(if GOG ever comes to Linux).

Comment

I certainly support people voting for the Linux suggestion and the like!

On something you mentioned previously about some of the big companies like EA liking DRM, etc. EA is also has a bunch of games DRM free on GOG, they released the source code for Sim City and have done some things like that from time to time and lastly they have a bunch of games on MAC.

With Sega/Sports Interactive porting Football Manager 2014 to Linux, who knows what could happen. Many of the mainstream companies have pretty good support for Mac.

Max Payne 3 is about to come out for Mac. Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if EA or Take Two were to beat GOG out to Linux(if GOG ever comes to Linux).
                I didn't know about those facts (regarding Sim City, Max Payne 3). You know, even if they do come to Linux before GOG, I wouldn't consider that sad. That's still great news! Really, though, how much harder is it to bring a game to, for example, Ubuntu 12.04 when it's already on Mac OS? In addition, I would like to thank you for staying so civil and pleasant with regard to this subject. Don't see much of that on the internet!

Comment

I find the content of this link relevant to this request.

Comment

Even ignoring that game has nothing to do with Football, ya'll keep saying linux games will come for one reason or other and have been since 1998. In reality you guys can't even beat Windows 8 for market share: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

If you want to remain delusional about linux, feel free, but CDProjeckt RED is out to make money. Hosting games that have been ported and porting their own games will cost them more than they bring in.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                      I find the content of this link relevant to this request.
                      That should probably point to this: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...bution/canj0q0

I don't think one single dev would make much difference but it can't hurt. I hope he has a positive influence.

Edit:

I wonder how GOG would react if a dev sneaked Linux binaries in the master given to them for a game? Hid them somewhere or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X